Re: [mythsoc] Joy Davidman as Manic Pixie Dream Girl in the movie Shadowlands

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 28, 2012
      I think that's often the problem with tropes / archetypes, particularly as used in fiction, and often into the spotlight when the trope / archetype features a minority (read: someone not a white male). It's not that the role is wrong, or that it doesn't exist, but that the trope is used in place of actual character development. When a character is limited to a single lens, and no depth beyond their relationship to the privileged hero is ever revealed, then the character becomes what is sometimes a dangerous stereotype.

      More people tend to make that case about the Magical Negro role than Manic Pixie Dream Girl, but I noted the mention of both in the same TV Tropes article, and I think they're certainly comparable on that level.

      -Alana

      On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM, James Curcio <jamescurcio@...> wrote:

      Well, I'm not passing a value judgement one way or the other. Certainly there's a point to be made that the role other people play in our lives is not the sum total of their being, and we shouldn't believe that it is. And there are any number of ways that viewing someone through this lens alone is reductionist and restrictive. But as someone in one of those links I followed in your post pointed out, it's an archetype (if you want to use that term) possibly analogous to Beatrice / Dante.

      "Nothing on the face of this earth—and I do mean nothing—is half so dangerous as a children’s story that happens to be real, and you and I are wandering blindfolded through a myth devised by a maniac."
      — Master Li Kao (T’ang Dynasty)
      Cell: 484-319-7323

      On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:

      If you'll watch the video in the last of the four links I gave, you'll see some reasons why maybe it's not such a great stereotype for people to believe in.

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 13, 2012
        I just got an email from Kent State Press saying they'd shipped mine!  :)  It's been backordered for ... a while now.

        --Margaret Dean
        On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

        All,

        It has come to my attention that Verlyn Flieger's new book, Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien is now available for purchase, both directly from the publisher, Kent State University Press, and from Amazon and other retailers.  This book was originally due to be published last August, but was delayed by the publisher.  It doesn't seem to have been well publicized that the book is now available, so I thought I would spread the word.  I obviously don't need to emphasize how perceptive Verlyn's observations about Tolkien are.  Most of you are well aware of that fact!

        Doug