Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and some places near Birmingham

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
      I think Tolkien already commented on this:

      "An author cannot of course remain wholly unaffected by his experience, but
      the ways in which a story-germ uses the soil of experience are extremely
      complex, and attempts to define the process are at best guesses from
      evidence that is inadequate and ambiguous."

      Tolkien acknowledged that the Midlands country villages of his childhood are
      the basis for his depiction of the Shire, but to say that the Shire _is_
      Sarehole is a much bigger jump that insults the author's intent and his
      imagination. The towers are the desperate folly of a Birmingham booster.
      The logic seems to be, "Tolkien once saw a tower, there's a tower in The
      Lord of the Rings, therefore they must be the same tower." Look at his
      sketches of Orthanc; they're nothing alike. Besides, the title "The Two
      Towers" wasn't invented until he needed to cobble together volume titles
      after his publisher decided to publish the book in three. Etc etc.