Re: Tolkien and some places near Birmingham

  • GH Chinoy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
      This article suggest Nottingham (Gedling, in particular, NE of Birmingham; as well as Worchestershire, SW) was influential, as well:  http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

      Speculation on influences is what it is, and I don't doubt the English landscape was influential, but I like the tone of the referenced Telegraph and Birmingham Conservation Trust articles better than the Cracked.com one, if that's any consolation.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
        I think Tolkien already commented on this:

        "An author cannot of course remain wholly unaffected by his experience, but
        the ways in which a story-germ uses the soil of experience are extremely
        complex, and attempts to define the process are at best guesses from
        evidence that is inadequate and ambiguous."

        Tolkien acknowledged that the Midlands country villages of his childhood are
        the basis for his depiction of the Shire, but to say that the Shire _is_
        Sarehole is a much bigger jump that insults the author's intent and his
        imagination. The towers are the desperate folly of a Birmingham booster.
        The logic seems to be, "Tolkien once saw a tower, there's a tower in The
        Lord of the Rings, therefore they must be the same tower." Look at his
        sketches of Orthanc; they're nothing alike. Besides, the title "The Two
        Towers" wasn't invented until he needed to cobble together volume titles
        after his publisher decided to publish the book in three. Etc etc.