Tolkien and some places near Birmingham

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
      This article claims that many of the locations in The Lord of the Rings were inspired by various places near Birmingham:

      Anybody want to comment on this?

      Wendell Wagner
    • GH Chinoy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
        This article suggest Nottingham (Gedling, in particular, NE of Birmingham; as well as Worchestershire, SW) was influential, as well:  http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

        Speculation on influences is what it is, and I don't doubt the English landscape was influential, but I like the tone of the referenced Telegraph and Birmingham Conservation Trust articles better than the Cracked.com one, if that's any consolation.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
          I think Tolkien already commented on this:

          "An author cannot of course remain wholly unaffected by his experience, but
          the ways in which a story-germ uses the soil of experience are extremely
          complex, and attempts to define the process are at best guesses from
          evidence that is inadequate and ambiguous."

          Tolkien acknowledged that the Midlands country villages of his childhood are
          the basis for his depiction of the Shire, but to say that the Shire _is_
          Sarehole is a much bigger jump that insults the author's intent and his
          imagination. The towers are the desperate folly of a Birmingham booster.
          The logic seems to be, "Tolkien once saw a tower, there's a tower in The
          Lord of the Rings, therefore they must be the same tower." Look at his
          sketches of Orthanc; they're nothing alike. Besides, the title "The Two
          Towers" wasn't invented until he needed to cobble together volume titles
          after his publisher decided to publish the book in three. Etc etc.