Re: [mythsoc] The Tolkien Hotel

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      When my son-in-law Frank Campbell was living in Geneva working for Caterpillar, Inc., he got sent to Jo’burg & Bloemfontein.  I recall he told me about this maybe in 2007.  The burg was just trying to explit the “JRRT was here,” perhaps.

      Mike Foster

      Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:33 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] The Tolkien Hotel

      Anybody else spot the reference to JRRT in the current issue of TIME? In a profile about the ANC (African National Congress), the ruling party in South Africa, occurs the following paragraph:

      "The short drive to Maphikela House* crosses South Africa's divide. I start in leafy all-white suburbs, how to cafes, bookstores and the Hobbit Boutique Hotel, modeled on the fantasies of Bloemfontein's most famous son, J. R. R. Tolkien. Then I cross a railway track, and I'm in the township: no trees, full of potholes and all black. Where my tourist map indicates Maphikela House should be is instead an abandoned warehouse . . ."

      Anybody else heard about 'Hobbit Boutique Hotel' before? Apparently they have a pool, which sounds v. un-hobbitlike.

      --John R.

      *(where the ANC was founded exactly 100 years ago last week)