Re: [mythsoc] The Tolkien Hotel

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      The Hobbit Boutique Hotel has a website at www.hobbit.co.za. It's apparently about a mile away from Tolkien's residence in Bloemfontein, and seems to wear its Tolkien associations lightly. The line that room facilities include a "safe for your precious possessions" seems to be the only textual allusion on the website, aside from a quote from the opening of _The Hobbit_ on the banner. The reading lounge has "a chess set and some other historical items bearing to JRR Tolkien," with no explanation of what that may mean. And the guest rooms are all named for LOTR characters, which unfortunately include some misspellings: "Pippen" and either "Gimly" or "Gimley" on different pages of the website.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
        When my son-in-law Frank Campbell was living in Geneva working for Caterpillar, Inc., he got sent to Jo’burg & Bloemfontein.  I recall he told me about this maybe in 2007.  The burg was just trying to explit the “JRRT was here,” perhaps.

        Mike Foster