Re: [mythsoc] Guardian Covers Disclosed Nobel Snobbery

  • Troels Forchhammer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
      I also think that it is interesting that now, fifty years after the fact, it is the missed opportunity of Tolkien that makes the headline, and not the runners-up (Greene and Blixen) - had this been public knowledge in 19611, surely Tolkien's name would not have been the one to feature in the headline.

      /Troels Forchhammer

      On 6 January 2012 04:31, <WendellWag@...> wrote:

      Perhaps the most interesting thing about the article is not that some mainstream literary critic in 1961 didn't like The Lord of the Rings.  Many didn't, but who cares?  What I immediately noticed is that the article was illustrated with a still from Born of Hope.  I don't have any objection to Born of Hope (and indeed I haven't even seen it yet).  After all, it was written by our very own Paula DiSante.  The problem is the assumption that you have to illustrate an article about a book with a still from a movie related to it, apparently because they assume that nobody has read the book being mentioned but might have seen a film based on it.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 1/5/2012 11:56:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, alanajoli@... writes:

      Hi all,

      Tolkien as a dismissed nominee is the draw of this article (which is fascinating in other ways, as well, regarding other writers who were summarily dismissed from consideration):  http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/05/jrr-tolkien-nobel-prize?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly%27s+PW+Daily&utm_campaign=b0403d58d8-UA-15906914-1&utm_medium=email .

      -Alana

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

          Love while you've got