Re: [mythsoc] Baynes' Narnia

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      << In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
      series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
      up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
      and apparel." >>

      Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
      squeezable toy for kids.

      The "usually so perfect" Wendell Wagner
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
        - we now return you to our regular programming -

        On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

        > Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
        > squeezable toy for kids.

        Some of us who are fond of the works of (pick any or all of the following):

        a) Beatrix Potter
        b) A.A. Milne
        c) James M. Barrie

        have been gagging on spoons for years. Sorrowful welcome to the club,
        Lewis fans.

        David Bratman
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
          In a message dated 09/06/2000 10:15:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          << Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
          squeezable toy for kids. >>

          Yes, it is a frightening thought isn't it?

          gg,

          Lizzie the Flirt
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
            In a message dated 09/06/2000 10:26:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            << Some of us who are fond of the works of (pick any or all of the following):

            a) Beatrix Potter
            b) A.A. Milne
            c) James M. Barrie

            have been gagging on spoons for years. Sorrowful welcome to the club,
            Lewis fans. >>

            I still regret not buying that stuffed badger I saw years ago. I forced
            myself not to look too closely because I knew I couldn't afford it -- it was
            probably from Wind in the Willows -- and I've not seen it since.

            Lizzie
          • David Lenander
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
              Funny and incisive response!

              WendellWag@... wrote:

              > Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
              > squeezable toy for kids.

              David Lenander,

            • David Lenander
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                We've actually discussed this topic somewhat here before (there might be
                backfiles) but let me comment on different Narnia editions. The single volume
                edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
                Chronicles. It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
                Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
                laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as the
                deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original black and
                white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
                without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
                However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
                paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I think
                blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
                wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of Baynes'
                lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm happy
                that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And they
                told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the Chronicles in
                this format. My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
                mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
                mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box. Even in
                reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
                yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
                strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
                illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available here. I
                think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
                time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
                black-and-white illustrations. Of course, they can also see the original black
                and white illustrations in adequately printed very inexpensive paperbacks from
                their school paperback clubs--in a flyer that Claire brought home yesterday from
                her first day of fifth grade the whole set in a box are available for about $3
                per volume (special price) from Arrow or Trumpet book club or whatever. These
                feature covers by Chris van Allsburg, which are quite fine, aside from being not
                by Baynes.

                ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
                >
                > << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
                > covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
                > was never sold in the U.S. >>
                >
                > Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
                > looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
                > hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
                > paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
                > those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
                > [. . . .]
                > The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
                > much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
                > me enough about the choices available.
                >
                > Lizzie

                David Lenander,

                e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/Hobbirth.html
              • David Lenander
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                  I visited the site Wayne mentioned, and while I didn't have time to really
                  explore it all, apparently the new paperback edition with Baynes color
                  jackets is already out in the U.S. The format is "digest-size," which means
                  they are larger than the Puffins I have, and may explain why the box is
                  clearly NOT the original art done on the Puffin edition, but simply some of
                  the cover art adapted for the box. (Alas). The format may be better for the
                  interior art than my old Puffins, though we shall see.... I worry that since
                  Pauline had designed wrap-around covers for the Puffins, the new ones may
                  dispense with the back illustration as the format is different.
                  Interestingly, the page also shows the the other editions are being
                  re-released (as of next week?), with a new jacket on the deluxe LWW, for
                  instance, and an into by Doug Gresham to the one-volume (or was there an
                  intro in the original that I'm just forgetting?). Also mentioned is the
                  audio tapes done by single readers, such as Claire Bloom, but not the audio
                  tapes of the BBC dramatizations (are they from another publisher, or no
                  longer available?). On the British pages, there are a couple of other
                  interesting listings. First of all, the displayed cover on what must be the
                  standard paperback has very attractive artwork (not by either van Allsburg or
                  the Dillons--or Baynes, of course), and there is apparently a new "graphic
                  novel" of _Magician's Nephew_ either out or about to come out. This is
                  mentioned on the "front page" with a graphic of Baynes' cover art to the
                  book, but when you go to the information page on this item, the artwork is
                  clearly by the same person who did the earlier graphic novel (comic-book) of
                  LWW. I suppose I'll have to get that, too, but will await an American
                  edition. Also, there is a new Narnia calendar, though I didn't see it on the
                  web-page, I saw it in a bookstore, where I didn't buy it (but would have done
                  so if they'd had the new Tolkien calendar in stock at the same time....)

                  "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

                  > [. . . .] The most interesting repackaging is
                  > the series in seven paperbacks whose covers reproduce Pauline's cover art
                  > for the old Puffin Books edition, which was never sold in the U.S.
                  >
                  > Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble online have not yet caught up with all the
                  > reissues, so the best place to check them out is, as Lizzie says,
                  > http://www.narnia.com The site has an animated introduction made from
                  > Pauline's art which loads rather slowly, at least on my PC.
                  >
                  > I see in _Publishers Weekly_ that we're in for a flurry of Narnia
                  > merchandising, because of the anniversary, including new stories set in
                  > Narnia. This is most interesting, given the reluctance all these years of
                  > the Lewis Estate to allow anything of the sort.
                  >
                  > Wayne Hammond

                  David Lenander,

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                    In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:21:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                    > In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                    > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                    > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                    > and apparel."

                    And Douglas Gresham, though not yet dead or senile, has not roadblocked it.
                    Discouraging! He used to indicate on the MereLewis List that he keeps a
                    pretty tight rein on what the Estate does.

                    Mary S
                  • Margaret Dean
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                      Stolzi@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:21:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                      > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
                      >
                      > > In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                      > > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                      > > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                      > > and apparel."
                      > >

                      > And Douglas Gresham, though not yet dead or senile, has not roadblocked it.
                      > Discouraging! He used to indicate on the MereLewis List that he keeps a
                      > pretty tight rein on what the Estate does.

                      It does seem rather, well, discouraging is not quite the word I'd
                      use, but it's probably more polite than what I'm thinking, which
                      is that any attempt at what I'll call Narnian fan fiction by its
                      devotees has been thoroughly stomped on by Douglas Gresham and
                      the Estate over the years, but they're okay now with letting a
                      commercial enterprise do it. Who are they getting to write these
                      "original stories," I wonder?

                      Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                      There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                      long hiatus), and then silence again.

                      --Margaret Dean
                      <margdean@...>
                    • LSolarion@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                        In a message dated 09/05/2000 2:54:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        ERATRIANO@... writes:

                        << the complete Chronicles are now
                        available with Pauline Baynes' illustrations? I jsut saw an ad in the New
                        York Times Book Review mag, and plan to check out www.narnia.com for prices
                        and availability. >>

                        There is a one-volume set of all seven, with colored illustrations, for
                        $50.00, due this fall. They are also available singly, but I don't recall the
                        price. I will try to get a more specific due date.
                        Steve
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                          In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:08:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          margdean@... writes:

                          > Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                          > There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                          > long hiatus), and then silence again.

                          Nobody knows what has happened to the listowner. There is a non-moderated
                          e-groups list around, put together by members who dug up a list of names, -
                          not all of them of course, particularly the lurkers. Obviously, mine was
                          one.

                          Go here http://www.egroups.com/group/MereLewis2 for more.

                          mary s
                        • Wayne G. Hammond
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                            David Lenander wrote, in two messages:

                            >The single volume
                            >edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
                            >Chronicles.

                            The colored pictures are also in a seven-volume paperback set (available
                            separately and boxed) published by HarperCollins U.K. in 1998.

                            >It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
                            >Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
                            >laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as
                            the
                            >deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original
                            black and
                            >white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
                            >without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
                            >However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
                            >paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I
                            think
                            >blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
                            >wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of
                            Baynes'
                            >lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm
                            happy
                            >that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And
                            they
                            >told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the
                            Chronicles in
                            >this format.

                            I don't find anything particularly wrong with the layout of the deluxe LWW,
                            and the poor reproduction quality of the black and white pictures didn't
                            result from the glossy paper but from degradation of the art since the
                            fifties, being reproduced over and over again, from reproduction to
                            reproduction as the original art has been mostly dispersed. The black and
                            whites are only good to poor in most other editions and printings of the
                            Narnia books, following the first few printings of the original U.K.
                            editions. (The American editions didn't include the full number of
                            illustrations that were published in Britain.) The black and whites in the
                            deluxe LWW in fact vary in size relative to the first edition, some
                            pictures larger, some smaller.

                            However, the glossy paper did give an unfortunate shine to the pictures,
                            particularly the color ones. Pauline remarked on it, compared to the same
                            color illustrations as reproduced much more nicely, on a beautiful
                            off-white matte finish stock, for the Narnia Calendar that came out the
                            same time as the original (1991) printing of the deluxe LWW. The exception
                            in the book is the superb endpapers which show Narnia coming out of winter
                            into spring.

                            And yes, HarperCollins did decide not to publish any more of the Narnia
                            books in the same deluxe format, which I regret very much.

                            >My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
                            >mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
                            >mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box.

                            Two different boxes, in fact, at different times.

                            >Even in
                            >reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
                            >yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
                            >strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
                            >illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available
                            here. I
                            >think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
                            >time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
                            >black-and-white illustrations.

                            I would think the one-volume edition unwieldy for small hands, though of
                            course sturdier for hard use. I wonder about the appeal of color, though.
                            When black and white illustrations are well done, as by Baynes, or Shepard,
                            for example, they have quite a lot of appeal without needing color, and I
                            believe that children quite as well as, or even better than, adults pick up
                            (subconsciously) on quality draftsmanship and design.

                            >I visited the site Wayne mentioned, and while I didn't have time to really
                            >explore it all, apparently the new paperback edition with Baynes color
                            >jackets is already out in the U.S. The format is "digest-size," which means
                            >they are larger than the Puffins I have, and may explain why the box is
                            >clearly NOT the original art done on the Puffin edition, but simply some of
                            >the cover art adapted for the box. (Alas). The format may be better for the
                            >interior art than my old Puffins, though we shall see.... I worry that since
                            >Pauline had designed wrap-around covers for the Puffins, the new ones may
                            >dispense with the back illustration as the format is different.

                            Actually only four of the seven volumes in the Puffin editions were
                            complete wraparounds. The other three had solid-color spines interrupting
                            the front and back cover art. Later Puffin had all solid-color spines.
                            (Pauline did a number of wraparounds for Puffin. Her 1961 _Hobbit_ is
                            probably the most famous. Her _Borrowers_ covers were good too, though
                            there Puffin eventually dispensed with the back cover art in favor of
                            blurbs etc.)

                            >Interestingly, the page also shows the the other editions are being
                            >re-released (as of next week?), with a new jacket on the deluxe LWW, for
                            >instance, and an into by Doug Gresham to the one-volume (or was there an
                            >intro in the original that I'm just forgetting?).

                            There was an introduction in the original, but by Brian Sibley. I see, by
                            the way, assuming that the graphic on the Narnia.com website is correct,
                            that the British one-volume edition with the colored art now has a jacket
                            like the American one-volume, based on Pauline's poster map of Narnia.
                            Originally it was based on the winter-to-spring endpaper, nice but not as
                            dramatic -- though more graphically interesting than the largely black and
                            gold jacket on the other one-volume edition HarperCollins published in
                            1998, for the adult market, with only black and white illustrations (or
                            some of them).

                            Wayne
                          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                              Hey, does this mean we can change the "Aslan" award from the
                              expensive library lion statues to a bunch of stuffed animals?
                              <vbg>

                              Mythically yours,

                              Lisa, you know how the treasurer always has to keep an eye on the
                              budget

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7, 2000
                                Stolzi@... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:08:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                > margdean@... writes:
                                >
                                > > Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?

                                > Nobody knows what has happened to the listowner. There is a non-moderated
                                > e-groups list around, put together by members who dug up a list of names, -
                                > not all of them of course, particularly the lurkers. Obviously, mine was
                                > one.
                                >
                                > Go here http://www.egroups.com/group/MereLewis2 for more.

                                Thanks, Mary! I went ahead and signed up.

                                --Margaret Dean
                                <margdean@...>
                              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 8, 2000
                                  All this information is leaving me lost at sea. So far I'm gathering that
                                  the best purchase in terms of art quality and book quality is the all-in-one
                                  book? Or is there a boxed set that can really compete? I'd much prefer a
                                  boxed set.

                                  This one that Wayne mentioned: The most interesting repackaging is
                                  the series in seven paperbacks whose covers reproduce Pauline's cover art
                                  for the old Puffin Books edition, which was never sold in the U.S. -- Does
                                  that have nice illustrations throughout?

                                  I still haven't been to the site. Just haven't been online much this week.
                                  And if there's half the information there that there is here lately, I'll
                                  just get more confused. LOL. Need to touch them all to see them properly I
                                  guess.

                                  Lizzie
                                • LSolarion@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                    In a message dated 09/06/2000 4:21:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                    Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                                    << In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                                    series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                                    up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                                    and apparel."

                                    In India, Hindus have worshipped the cow for centuries.
                                    In America, we have a sacred cow as well; it's called the Cash Cow. The calf
                                    is always golden in the land of the free, where the unofficial state religion
                                    is Mammon-worship. Nothing else is sacred. The only value anything has is its
                                    money-making potential. Oh say can you see all the i-dol-a-try?

                                    Sorry...letting my intense disgust run away with me.
                                  • LSolarion@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                      In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:08:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                      margdean@... writes:

                                      << Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                                      There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                                      long hiatus), and then silence again. >>

                                      It has been resurrected under new ownership; same old wonderful discussion,
                                      though. You can reach it at:

                                      MereLewis2-owner@egroups.com

                                      Steve
                                    • Wayne G. Hammond
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                        ><< In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                                        > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                                        > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                                        > and apparel."
                                        > >>

                                        >In India, Hindus have worshipped the cow for centuries.
                                        >In America, we have a sacred cow as well; it's called the Cash Cow. The calf
                                        >is always golden in the land of the free, where the unofficial state
                                        religion
                                        >is Mammon-worship. Nothing else is sacred. The only value anything has is
                                        its
                                        >money-making potential. Oh say can you see all the i-dol-a-try?

                                        In fact, HarperCollins is a multinational corporation with its main offices
                                        in the U.K., and C.S. Lewis Pte Ltd. is also based outside the U.S.

                                        Wayne Hammond
                                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                          In a message dated 09/09/2000 1:22:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                          LSolarion@... writes:

                                          > It has been resurrected under new ownership; same old wonderful discussion,
                                          > though. You can reach it at:
                                          >
                                          > MereLewis2-owner@egroups.com

                                          MereLewis is back at least for now, non-moderated. The ML2 crowd is trying
                                          to move the discussion back to the original list. But will probably hold ML2
                                          in reserve for future problems that may occur.

                                          Mary S