Free book: Adams, "From Elvish to Klingon"

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
      I ended up with an extra copy of Michael Adams, ed. "From Elvish to Klingon: Exploring Invented Languages". If you want it, email me privately, and I'll mail it to you; first come, first served.

      Table of Contents
      "The Spectrum of Invention" by Michael Adams
      "Confounding Babel: International Auxiliary Languages"
      by Arden Smith
      "Invented Vocabulary: The Cases of Newspeak and Nadsat" by Howard
      Jackson
      "Tolkien's Invented Languages" by E.S.C. Weiner and Jeremy Marshall
      " 'Wild and Whirling Words': The Invention and Use of Klingon"
      by Marc Okrand et al.
      "Gaming Languages and Language Games" by James Portnow
      " 'Oirish' Inventions: James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Paul Muldoon"
      by Stephen Watt.
      "Revitalized Languages as Invented Languages" by Suzanne Romaine
      plus an appendix for each chapter by Michael Adams

      I wrote a review of this that I have submitted to Mythprint. Bottom line: I liked the Portnow article and some of the appendices, I liked the Romaine article with reservations, the rest I thought less interesting.
    • davise@cs.nyu.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
        Book has been claimed.
        -- Ernie