Re: [mythsoc] Baynes' Narnia

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
      << Huh? By who? >>

      Oh, Wendell, you're usually so perfect. Don't you mean "By whom?" Or is
      "who" a plural form, because perhaps you are anticipating a number of
      different writers?

      giggling all the way,

      Lizzie
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
        In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

        << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
        covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
        was never sold in the U.S. >>

        Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
        looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
        hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
        paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
        those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
        Plus, I'm rather charmed by such books in my own collection as Dinotopia, and
        The Illustrated Tarka the Otter. I've also seen a few books in the series
        marketed as "The Whole Story," where they take a nice story like Mowgli's
        Brothers or The Call of the Wild, and put encyclopedia-like information and
        pictures in the margins. Could be a bit distracting, I suspect, but reminded
        me cozily of my old Black Beauty, with its unfamiliar words explained in the
        margins.

        I hope the site doesn't take too long to load. I have little patience for
        that sort of thing. I would imagine an illustrated copy of the Chronicles in
        one volume would be rather large and awkward to carry about and read from.
        The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
        much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
        me enough about the choices available.

        Lizzie
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
          Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

          << In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
          series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
          up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
          and apparel." >>

          Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
          squeezable toy for kids.

          The "usually so perfect" Wendell Wagner
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
            - we now return you to our regular programming -

            On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

            > Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
            > squeezable toy for kids.

            Some of us who are fond of the works of (pick any or all of the following):

            a) Beatrix Potter
            b) A.A. Milne
            c) James M. Barrie

            have been gagging on spoons for years. Sorrowful welcome to the club,
            Lewis fans.

            David Bratman
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
              In a message dated 09/06/2000 10:15:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              << Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
              squeezable toy for kids. >>

              Yes, it is a frightening thought isn't it?

              gg,

              Lizzie the Flirt
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                In a message dated 09/06/2000 10:26:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                << Some of us who are fond of the works of (pick any or all of the following):

                a) Beatrix Potter
                b) A.A. Milne
                c) James M. Barrie

                have been gagging on spoons for years. Sorrowful welcome to the club,
                Lewis fans. >>

                I still regret not buying that stuffed badger I saw years ago. I forced
                myself not to look too closely because I knew I couldn't afford it -- it was
                probably from Wind in the Willows -- and I've not seen it since.

                Lizzie
              • David Lenander
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                  Funny and incisive response!

                  WendellWag@... wrote:

                  > Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
                  > squeezable toy for kids.

                  David Lenander,

                • David Lenander
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                    We've actually discussed this topic somewhat here before (there might be
                    backfiles) but let me comment on different Narnia editions. The single volume
                    edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
                    Chronicles. It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
                    Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
                    laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as the
                    deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original black and
                    white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
                    without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
                    However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
                    paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I think
                    blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
                    wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of Baynes'
                    lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm happy
                    that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And they
                    told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the Chronicles in
                    this format. My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
                    mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
                    mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box. Even in
                    reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
                    yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
                    strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
                    illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available here. I
                    think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
                    time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
                    black-and-white illustrations. Of course, they can also see the original black
                    and white illustrations in adequately printed very inexpensive paperbacks from
                    their school paperback clubs--in a flyer that Claire brought home yesterday from
                    her first day of fifth grade the whole set in a box are available for about $3
                    per volume (special price) from Arrow or Trumpet book club or whatever. These
                    feature covers by Chris van Allsburg, which are quite fine, aside from being not
                    by Baynes.

                    ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
                    >
                    > << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
                    > covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
                    > was never sold in the U.S. >>
                    >
                    > Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
                    > looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
                    > hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
                    > paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
                    > those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
                    > [. . . .]
                    > The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
                    > much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
                    > me enough about the choices available.
                    >
                    > Lizzie

                    David Lenander,

                    e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/Hobbirth.html
                  • David Lenander
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                      I visited the site Wayne mentioned, and while I didn't have time to really
                      explore it all, apparently the new paperback edition with Baynes color
                      jackets is already out in the U.S. The format is "digest-size," which means
                      they are larger than the Puffins I have, and may explain why the box is
                      clearly NOT the original art done on the Puffin edition, but simply some of
                      the cover art adapted for the box. (Alas). The format may be better for the
                      interior art than my old Puffins, though we shall see.... I worry that since
                      Pauline had designed wrap-around covers for the Puffins, the new ones may
                      dispense with the back illustration as the format is different.
                      Interestingly, the page also shows the the other editions are being
                      re-released (as of next week?), with a new jacket on the deluxe LWW, for
                      instance, and an into by Doug Gresham to the one-volume (or was there an
                      intro in the original that I'm just forgetting?). Also mentioned is the
                      audio tapes done by single readers, such as Claire Bloom, but not the audio
                      tapes of the BBC dramatizations (are they from another publisher, or no
                      longer available?). On the British pages, there are a couple of other
                      interesting listings. First of all, the displayed cover on what must be the
                      standard paperback has very attractive artwork (not by either van Allsburg or
                      the Dillons--or Baynes, of course), and there is apparently a new "graphic
                      novel" of _Magician's Nephew_ either out or about to come out. This is
                      mentioned on the "front page" with a graphic of Baynes' cover art to the
                      book, but when you go to the information page on this item, the artwork is
                      clearly by the same person who did the earlier graphic novel (comic-book) of
                      LWW. I suppose I'll have to get that, too, but will await an American
                      edition. Also, there is a new Narnia calendar, though I didn't see it on the
                      web-page, I saw it in a bookstore, where I didn't buy it (but would have done
                      so if they'd had the new Tolkien calendar in stock at the same time....)

                      "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

                      > [. . . .] The most interesting repackaging is
                      > the series in seven paperbacks whose covers reproduce Pauline's cover art
                      > for the old Puffin Books edition, which was never sold in the U.S.
                      >
                      > Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble online have not yet caught up with all the
                      > reissues, so the best place to check them out is, as Lizzie says,
                      > http://www.narnia.com The site has an animated introduction made from
                      > Pauline's art which loads rather slowly, at least on my PC.
                      >
                      > I see in _Publishers Weekly_ that we're in for a flurry of Narnia
                      > merchandising, because of the anniversary, including new stories set in
                      > Narnia. This is most interesting, given the reluctance all these years of
                      > the Lewis Estate to allow anything of the sort.
                      >
                      > Wayne Hammond

                      David Lenander,

                    • Stolzi@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                        In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:21:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                        > In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                        > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                        > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                        > and apparel."

                        And Douglas Gresham, though not yet dead or senile, has not roadblocked it.
                        Discouraging! He used to indicate on the MereLewis List that he keeps a
                        pretty tight rein on what the Estate does.

                        Mary S
                      • Margaret Dean
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                          Stolzi@... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:21:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
                          >
                          > > In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                          > > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                          > > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                          > > and apparel."
                          > >

                          > And Douglas Gresham, though not yet dead or senile, has not roadblocked it.
                          > Discouraging! He used to indicate on the MereLewis List that he keeps a
                          > pretty tight rein on what the Estate does.

                          It does seem rather, well, discouraging is not quite the word I'd
                          use, but it's probably more polite than what I'm thinking, which
                          is that any attempt at what I'll call Narnian fan fiction by its
                          devotees has been thoroughly stomped on by Douglas Gresham and
                          the Estate over the years, but they're okay now with letting a
                          commercial enterprise do it. Who are they getting to write these
                          "original stories," I wonder?

                          Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                          There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                          long hiatus), and then silence again.

                          --Margaret Dean
                          <margdean@...>
                        • LSolarion@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                            In a message dated 09/05/2000 2:54:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                            ERATRIANO@... writes:

                            << the complete Chronicles are now
                            available with Pauline Baynes' illustrations? I jsut saw an ad in the New
                            York Times Book Review mag, and plan to check out www.narnia.com for prices
                            and availability. >>

                            There is a one-volume set of all seven, with colored illustrations, for
                            $50.00, due this fall. They are also available singly, but I don't recall the
                            price. I will try to get a more specific due date.
                            Steve
                          • Stolzi@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                              In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:08:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              margdean@... writes:

                              > Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                              > There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                              > long hiatus), and then silence again.

                              Nobody knows what has happened to the listowner. There is a non-moderated
                              e-groups list around, put together by members who dug up a list of names, -
                              not all of them of course, particularly the lurkers. Obviously, mine was
                              one.

                              Go here http://www.egroups.com/group/MereLewis2 for more.

                              mary s
                            • Wayne G. Hammond
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                David Lenander wrote, in two messages:

                                >The single volume
                                >edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
                                >Chronicles.

                                The colored pictures are also in a seven-volume paperback set (available
                                separately and boxed) published by HarperCollins U.K. in 1998.

                                >It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
                                >Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
                                >laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as
                                the
                                >deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original
                                black and
                                >white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
                                >without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
                                >However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
                                >paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I
                                think
                                >blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
                                >wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of
                                Baynes'
                                >lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm
                                happy
                                >that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And
                                they
                                >told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the
                                Chronicles in
                                >this format.

                                I don't find anything particularly wrong with the layout of the deluxe LWW,
                                and the poor reproduction quality of the black and white pictures didn't
                                result from the glossy paper but from degradation of the art since the
                                fifties, being reproduced over and over again, from reproduction to
                                reproduction as the original art has been mostly dispersed. The black and
                                whites are only good to poor in most other editions and printings of the
                                Narnia books, following the first few printings of the original U.K.
                                editions. (The American editions didn't include the full number of
                                illustrations that were published in Britain.) The black and whites in the
                                deluxe LWW in fact vary in size relative to the first edition, some
                                pictures larger, some smaller.

                                However, the glossy paper did give an unfortunate shine to the pictures,
                                particularly the color ones. Pauline remarked on it, compared to the same
                                color illustrations as reproduced much more nicely, on a beautiful
                                off-white matte finish stock, for the Narnia Calendar that came out the
                                same time as the original (1991) printing of the deluxe LWW. The exception
                                in the book is the superb endpapers which show Narnia coming out of winter
                                into spring.

                                And yes, HarperCollins did decide not to publish any more of the Narnia
                                books in the same deluxe format, which I regret very much.

                                >My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
                                >mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
                                >mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box.

                                Two different boxes, in fact, at different times.

                                >Even in
                                >reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
                                >yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
                                >strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
                                >illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available
                                here. I
                                >think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
                                >time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
                                >black-and-white illustrations.

                                I would think the one-volume edition unwieldy for small hands, though of
                                course sturdier for hard use. I wonder about the appeal of color, though.
                                When black and white illustrations are well done, as by Baynes, or Shepard,
                                for example, they have quite a lot of appeal without needing color, and I
                                believe that children quite as well as, or even better than, adults pick up
                                (subconsciously) on quality draftsmanship and design.

                                >I visited the site Wayne mentioned, and while I didn't have time to really
                                >explore it all, apparently the new paperback edition with Baynes color
                                >jackets is already out in the U.S. The format is "digest-size," which means
                                >they are larger than the Puffins I have, and may explain why the box is
                                >clearly NOT the original art done on the Puffin edition, but simply some of
                                >the cover art adapted for the box. (Alas). The format may be better for the
                                >interior art than my old Puffins, though we shall see.... I worry that since
                                >Pauline had designed wrap-around covers for the Puffins, the new ones may
                                >dispense with the back illustration as the format is different.

                                Actually only four of the seven volumes in the Puffin editions were
                                complete wraparounds. The other three had solid-color spines interrupting
                                the front and back cover art. Later Puffin had all solid-color spines.
                                (Pauline did a number of wraparounds for Puffin. Her 1961 _Hobbit_ is
                                probably the most famous. Her _Borrowers_ covers were good too, though
                                there Puffin eventually dispensed with the back cover art in favor of
                                blurbs etc.)

                                >Interestingly, the page also shows the the other editions are being
                                >re-released (as of next week?), with a new jacket on the deluxe LWW, for
                                >instance, and an into by Doug Gresham to the one-volume (or was there an
                                >intro in the original that I'm just forgetting?).

                                There was an introduction in the original, but by Brian Sibley. I see, by
                                the way, assuming that the graphic on the Narnia.com website is correct,
                                that the British one-volume edition with the colored art now has a jacket
                                like the American one-volume, based on Pauline's poster map of Narnia.
                                Originally it was based on the winter-to-spring endpaper, nice but not as
                                dramatic -- though more graphically interesting than the largely black and
                                gold jacket on the other one-volume edition HarperCollins published in
                                1998, for the adult market, with only black and white illustrations (or
                                some of them).

                                Wayne
                              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                  Hey, does this mean we can change the "Aslan" award from the
                                  expensive library lion statues to a bunch of stuffed animals?
                                  <vbg>

                                  Mythically yours,

                                  Lisa, you know how the treasurer always has to keep an eye on the
                                  budget

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 7, 2000
                                    Stolzi@... wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:08:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                    > margdean@... writes:
                                    >
                                    > > Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?

                                    > Nobody knows what has happened to the listowner. There is a non-moderated
                                    > e-groups list around, put together by members who dug up a list of names, -
                                    > not all of them of course, particularly the lurkers. Obviously, mine was
                                    > one.
                                    >
                                    > Go here http://www.egroups.com/group/MereLewis2 for more.

                                    Thanks, Mary! I went ahead and signed up.

                                    --Margaret Dean
                                    <margdean@...>
                                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 8, 2000
                                      All this information is leaving me lost at sea. So far I'm gathering that
                                      the best purchase in terms of art quality and book quality is the all-in-one
                                      book? Or is there a boxed set that can really compete? I'd much prefer a
                                      boxed set.

                                      This one that Wayne mentioned: The most interesting repackaging is
                                      the series in seven paperbacks whose covers reproduce Pauline's cover art
                                      for the old Puffin Books edition, which was never sold in the U.S. -- Does
                                      that have nice illustrations throughout?

                                      I still haven't been to the site. Just haven't been online much this week.
                                      And if there's half the information there that there is here lately, I'll
                                      just get more confused. LOL. Need to touch them all to see them properly I
                                      guess.

                                      Lizzie
                                    • LSolarion@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                        In a message dated 09/06/2000 4:21:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                        Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                                        << In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                                        series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                                        up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                                        and apparel."

                                        In India, Hindus have worshipped the cow for centuries.
                                        In America, we have a sacred cow as well; it's called the Cash Cow. The calf
                                        is always golden in the land of the free, where the unofficial state religion
                                        is Mammon-worship. Nothing else is sacred. The only value anything has is its
                                        money-making potential. Oh say can you see all the i-dol-a-try?

                                        Sorry...letting my intense disgust run away with me.
                                      • LSolarion@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                          In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:08:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                          margdean@... writes:

                                          << Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                                          There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                                          long hiatus), and then silence again. >>

                                          It has been resurrected under new ownership; same old wonderful discussion,
                                          though. You can reach it at:

                                          MereLewis2-owner@egroups.com

                                          Steve
                                        • Wayne G. Hammond
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                            ><< In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                                            > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                                            > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                                            > and apparel."
                                            > >>

                                            >In India, Hindus have worshipped the cow for centuries.
                                            >In America, we have a sacred cow as well; it's called the Cash Cow. The calf
                                            >is always golden in the land of the free, where the unofficial state
                                            religion
                                            >is Mammon-worship. Nothing else is sacred. The only value anything has is
                                            its
                                            >money-making potential. Oh say can you see all the i-dol-a-try?

                                            In fact, HarperCollins is a multinational corporation with its main offices
                                            in the U.K., and C.S. Lewis Pte Ltd. is also based outside the U.S.

                                            Wayne Hammond
                                          • Stolzi@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                              In a message dated 09/09/2000 1:22:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                              LSolarion@... writes:

                                              > It has been resurrected under new ownership; same old wonderful discussion,
                                              > though. You can reach it at:
                                              >
                                              > MereLewis2-owner@egroups.com

                                              MereLewis is back at least for now, non-moderated. The ML2 crowd is trying
                                              to move the discussion back to the original list. But will probably hold ML2
                                              in reserve for future problems that may occur.

                                              Mary S