Moral ambiguity in the Hobbit

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2011
      In fact, I remember, when I first read the Hobbit -- must have been about 9 or 10 -- I found the ending a little confusing, precisely because of the moral ambiguity. Between the death of Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies, there are a lot of very shifty goings on, and one hardly knows who to "root" for, other than Bilbo. How is it that the dwarves and the elves are just about to fight a pitched battle and then turn around on a dime and join forces against the goblins? I had never seen anything like it.