  • ftl_publications
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2011
      Publicity Release

      November 2011

      About Odyssey

      Since its founding in 1996, Odyssey has become one of the most respected
      workshops in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror writing community.
      Odyssey is for developing writers whose work is approaching publication
      quality and for published writers who want to improve their work. The
      six-week workshop combines advanced lectures, exercises, extensive writing,
      and in-depth feedback on student manuscripts. Top authors, editors, and
      agents have served as guest lecturers, including George R. R. Martin, Harlan
      Ellison, Jane Yolen, Terry Brooks, Robert J. Sawyer, Ben Bova, Nancy Kress,
      Elizabeth Hand, Jeff VanderMeer, Donald Maass, Sheila Williams, Shawna
      McCarthy, Carrie Vaughn, and Dan Simmons. Fifty-six percent of Odyssey
      graduates go on to professional publication.

      The program is held every summer on Saint Anselm College's beautiful campus
      in Manchester, NH. Saint Anselm is one of the finest liberal arts colleges
      in the country, dedicated to excellence in education, and its campus
      provides a peaceful setting and state-of-the-art facilities for Odyssey
      students. College credit is available upon request.

      Jeanne Cavelos, Odyssey's director and primary instructor, is a best-selling
      author and a former senior editor at Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing, where
      she won the World Fantasy Award for her work. As an editor, Cavelos gained
      a reputation for discovering and nurturing new writers. She provides
      students with detailed, concrete, constructive critiques of their work.
      Cavelos said, "I've worked with many different writers, and I know that each
      writer thinks and works differently. We limit attendance at Odyssey to
      sixteen, so I can become deeply familiar with the work of each student and
      provide assessments of strengths and weaknesses. I work individually with
      each student, helping each one to find the best writing process for him,
      suggesting specific tools to target weaknesses, and charting progress over
      the six weeks," Cavelos said. Her typewritten critiques average over 1,200
      words, and her handwritten line edits on manuscripts are extensive.

      Odyssey class time is split between workshopping sessions and lectures. An
      advanced, comprehensive curriculum covers the elements of fiction writing in
      depth. While feedback reveals the weaknesses in students' manuscripts,
      lectures teach the tools and techniques necessary to strengthen them.

      The workshop runs from June 11 to July 20, 2012. Class meets for four hours
      in the morning, five days a week. Students spend about eight hours more per
      day writing and critiquing each other's work. Prospective students, aged
      eighteen and up, apply from all over the world. The early admission
      application deadline is JANUARY 31, and the regular admission deadline is
      APRIL 7. Tuition is $1920, and housing is $790 for a double room in a
      campus apartment and $1580 for a single room.

      Meet Our 2012 Writer-in-Residence

      Odyssey's 2012 writer-in-residence, Jeanne Kalogridis, is the New York Times
      best-selling author of more than thirty books ranging from historical novels
      to dark fantasy to novelizations. She has written in many different genres,
      and has even written several nonfiction titles. Her novels are renowned for
      their detail and evocativeness. Her The Diaries of the Family Dracul
      trilogy was described as "authentically arresting" by the New York Times and
      "terrifying" by Robert Bloch, the author of Psycho. Kalogridis is also an
      amazing teacher and mentor, who has taught at the American University in
      Washington, D.C.

      Other Guest Lecturers

      Lecturers for the 2012 workshop include some of the best teachers in the
      field: acclaimed authors Paul Park, Elaine Isaak, Barbara Ashford, and
      Craig Shaw Gardner; and top agent Jennifer Jackson.

      Odyssey Graduates

      Graduates of the Odyssey Writing Workshop have been published in the top
      fiction magazines and by the top book publishers in the field. Their
      stories have appeared in Realms of Fantasy, Analog, Asimov's, Weird Tales,
      Lightspeed, Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show, and Fantasy
      Magazine. Some of the recent novels published by Odyssey graduates are
      Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn, published by Tor Books; Spellcast by
      Barbara Ashford, published by DAW; Jane and the Raven King by Stephen
      Chambers, published by Sourcebooks; and Sword of Fire and Sea, by Erin
      Hoffman, published by Pyr Books.

      Martin Larsson, from the class of 2011, had this to say about his Odyssey
      experience: "The six weeks of Odyssey were a roller-coaster ride of
      inspiration, inadequacy issues, laughter, tears, learning and despair.
      Somehow, with Jeanne at the helm, we navigated through all this and came out
      the other side, forever changed into better writers and better people. I
      came away from Odyssey with knowledge I didn't know existed and inspiration
      I've never felt before. Apply. Apply now."

      Comments from the Class of 2011

      "I have a bachelor's in Spanish literature, an M.F.A. in writing, and a
      Ph.D. in linguistics, but nobody has ever taught me about writing the way
      I've been taught at Odyssey." --Donna Glee Williams

      "The Odyssey course is amazing! What a privilege to be able to experience
      this level of teaching! The incredible amount of progress that each
      participant made during this course speaks for itself. Fantastic, inspiring
      teaching in a supportive and encouraging environment!" --K. V. Lavers

      Other Odyssey Resources and Services

      The Odyssey Web site, www.odysseyworkshop.org ,
      offers many resources for writers, including online classes, a critique
      service, free podcasts, writing and publishing tips, and a monthly
      LiveJournal, as well as more information about how to apply. Those
      interested in applying to the workshop should visit the Web site, phone
      (603) 673-6234, or e-mail jcavelos@....