Re: [mythsoc] Baynes' Narnia

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 5, 2000
      In a message dated 9/5/00 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      << I see in _Publishers Weekly_ that we're in for a flurry of Narnia
      merchandising, because of the anniversary, including new stories set in
      Narnia. >>

      Huh? By who?
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
        Wendell wrote:

        ><< I see in _Publishers Weekly_ that we're in for a flurry of Narnia
        > merchandising, because of the anniversary, including new stories set in
        > Narnia. >>
        >
        >Huh? By who?

        I don't know -- but let me give a better report, direct from the PW notice
        (issue of 14 August) rather than from memory. PW says that "the C.S. Lewis
        Company and United Media have begun licensing _The Chronicles of Narnia_
        for a range of products to debut in fourth quarter 2000, to coincide with
        the 50th anniversary of the series' second title [that's got to confuse
        some people!], _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_. Gifts,
        collectibles, software and stationery will be sold through department and
        specialty stores, with the book trade a primary target." United Media will
        work with HarperCollins for bookstore merchandising. HarperCollins will
        spend $250,000 to promote the anniversary; "efforts include a Chick-fil-A
        restaurant-chain tie-in involving three million books and a school program
        reaching 150,000 educators. In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
        series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
        up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
        and apparel."

        Wayne Hammond
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
          << Huh? By who? >>

          Oh, Wendell, you're usually so perfect. Don't you mean "By whom?" Or is
          "who" a plural form, because perhaps you are anticipating a number of
          different writers?

          giggling all the way,

          Lizzie
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
            In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

            << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
            covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
            was never sold in the U.S. >>

            Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
            looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
            hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
            paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
            those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
            Plus, I'm rather charmed by such books in my own collection as Dinotopia, and
            The Illustrated Tarka the Otter. I've also seen a few books in the series
            marketed as "The Whole Story," where they take a nice story like Mowgli's
            Brothers or The Call of the Wild, and put encyclopedia-like information and
            pictures in the margins. Could be a bit distracting, I suspect, but reminded
            me cozily of my old Black Beauty, with its unfamiliar words explained in the
            margins.

            I hope the site doesn't take too long to load. I have little patience for
            that sort of thing. I would imagine an illustrated copy of the Chronicles in
            one volume would be rather large and awkward to carry about and read from.
            The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
            much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
            me enough about the choices available.

            Lizzie
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
              Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

              << In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
              series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
              up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
              and apparel." >>

              Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
              squeezable toy for kids.

              The "usually so perfect" Wendell Wagner
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                - we now return you to our regular programming -

                On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

                > Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
                > squeezable toy for kids.

                Some of us who are fond of the works of (pick any or all of the following):

                a) Beatrix Potter
                b) A.A. Milne
                c) James M. Barrie

                have been gagging on spoons for years. Sorrowful welcome to the club,
                Lewis fans.

                David Bratman
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                  In a message dated 09/06/2000 10:15:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  WendellWag@... writes:

                  << Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
                  squeezable toy for kids. >>

                  Yes, it is a frightening thought isn't it?

                  gg,

                  Lizzie the Flirt
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                    In a message dated 09/06/2000 10:26:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    dbratman@... writes:

                    << Some of us who are fond of the works of (pick any or all of the following):

                    a) Beatrix Potter
                    b) A.A. Milne
                    c) James M. Barrie

                    have been gagging on spoons for years. Sorrowful welcome to the club,
                    Lewis fans. >>

                    I still regret not buying that stuffed badger I saw years ago. I forced
                    myself not to look too closely because I knew I couldn't afford it -- it was
                    probably from Wind in the Willows -- and I've not seen it since.

                    Lizzie
                  • David Lenander
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                      Funny and incisive response!

                      WendellWag@... wrote:

                      > Oh, gag me with a spoon. Aslan is not a tame lion, but, hey, now he's a
                      > squeezable toy for kids.

                      David Lenander,

                    • David Lenander
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                        We've actually discussed this topic somewhat here before (there might be
                        backfiles) but let me comment on different Narnia editions. The single volume
                        edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
                        Chronicles. It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
                        Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
                        laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as the
                        deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original black and
                        white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
                        without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
                        However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
                        paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I think
                        blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
                        wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of Baynes'
                        lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm happy
                        that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And they
                        told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the Chronicles in
                        this format. My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
                        mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
                        mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box. Even in
                        reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
                        yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
                        strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
                        illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available here. I
                        think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
                        time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
                        black-and-white illustrations. Of course, they can also see the original black
                        and white illustrations in adequately printed very inexpensive paperbacks from
                        their school paperback clubs--in a flyer that Claire brought home yesterday from
                        her first day of fifth grade the whole set in a box are available for about $3
                        per volume (special price) from Arrow or Trumpet book club or whatever. These
                        feature covers by Chris van Allsburg, which are quite fine, aside from being not
                        by Baynes.

                        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
                        >
                        > << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
                        > covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
                        > was never sold in the U.S. >>
                        >
                        > Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
                        > looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
                        > hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
                        > paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
                        > those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
                        > [. . . .]
                        > The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
                        > much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
                        > me enough about the choices available.
                        >
                        > Lizzie

                        David Lenander,

                        e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/Hobbirth.html
                      • David Lenander
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                          I visited the site Wayne mentioned, and while I didn't have time to really
                          explore it all, apparently the new paperback edition with Baynes color
                          jackets is already out in the U.S. The format is "digest-size," which means
                          they are larger than the Puffins I have, and may explain why the box is
                          clearly NOT the original art done on the Puffin edition, but simply some of
                          the cover art adapted for the box. (Alas). The format may be better for the
                          interior art than my old Puffins, though we shall see.... I worry that since
                          Pauline had designed wrap-around covers for the Puffins, the new ones may
                          dispense with the back illustration as the format is different.
                          Interestingly, the page also shows the the other editions are being
                          re-released (as of next week?), with a new jacket on the deluxe LWW, for
                          instance, and an into by Doug Gresham to the one-volume (or was there an
                          intro in the original that I'm just forgetting?). Also mentioned is the
                          audio tapes done by single readers, such as Claire Bloom, but not the audio
                          tapes of the BBC dramatizations (are they from another publisher, or no
                          longer available?). On the British pages, there are a couple of other
                          interesting listings. First of all, the displayed cover on what must be the
                          standard paperback has very attractive artwork (not by either van Allsburg or
                          the Dillons--or Baynes, of course), and there is apparently a new "graphic
                          novel" of _Magician's Nephew_ either out or about to come out. This is
                          mentioned on the "front page" with a graphic of Baynes' cover art to the
                          book, but when you go to the information page on this item, the artwork is
                          clearly by the same person who did the earlier graphic novel (comic-book) of
                          LWW. I suppose I'll have to get that, too, but will await an American
                          edition. Also, there is a new Narnia calendar, though I didn't see it on the
                          web-page, I saw it in a bookstore, where I didn't buy it (but would have done
                          so if they'd had the new Tolkien calendar in stock at the same time....)

                          "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

                          > [. . . .] The most interesting repackaging is
                          > the series in seven paperbacks whose covers reproduce Pauline's cover art
                          > for the old Puffin Books edition, which was never sold in the U.S.
                          >
                          > Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble online have not yet caught up with all the
                          > reissues, so the best place to check them out is, as Lizzie says,
                          > http://www.narnia.com The site has an animated introduction made from
                          > Pauline's art which loads rather slowly, at least on my PC.
                          >
                          > I see in _Publishers Weekly_ that we're in for a flurry of Narnia
                          > merchandising, because of the anniversary, including new stories set in
                          > Narnia. This is most interesting, given the reluctance all these years of
                          > the Lewis Estate to allow anything of the sort.
                          >
                          > Wayne Hammond

                          David Lenander,

                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                            In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:21:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                            Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                            > In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                            > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                            > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                            > and apparel."

                            And Douglas Gresham, though not yet dead or senile, has not roadblocked it.
                            Discouraging! He used to indicate on the MereLewis List that he keeps a
                            pretty tight rein on what the Estate does.

                            Mary S
                          • Margaret Dean
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                              Stolzi@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:21:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                              > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
                              >
                              > > In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                              > > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                              > > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                              > > and apparel."
                              > >

                              > And Douglas Gresham, though not yet dead or senile, has not roadblocked it.
                              > Discouraging! He used to indicate on the MereLewis List that he keeps a
                              > pretty tight rein on what the Estate does.

                              It does seem rather, well, discouraging is not quite the word I'd
                              use, but it's probably more polite than what I'm thinking, which
                              is that any attempt at what I'll call Narnian fan fiction by its
                              devotees has been thoroughly stomped on by Douglas Gresham and
                              the Estate over the years, but they're okay now with letting a
                              commercial enterprise do it. Who are they getting to write these
                              "original stories," I wonder?

                              Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                              There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                              long hiatus), and then silence again.

                              --Margaret Dean
                              <margdean@...>
                            • LSolarion@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                In a message dated 09/05/2000 2:54:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                ERATRIANO@... writes:

                                << the complete Chronicles are now
                                available with Pauline Baynes' illustrations? I jsut saw an ad in the New
                                York Times Book Review mag, and plan to check out www.narnia.com for prices
                                and availability. >>

                                There is a one-volume set of all seven, with colored illustrations, for
                                $50.00, due this fall. They are also available singly, but I don't recall the
                                price. I will try to get a more specific due date.
                                Steve
                              • Stolzi@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                  In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:08:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                  margdean@... writes:

                                  > Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                                  > There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                                  > long hiatus), and then silence again.

                                  Nobody knows what has happened to the listowner. There is a non-moderated
                                  e-groups list around, put together by members who dug up a list of names, -
                                  not all of them of course, particularly the lurkers. Obviously, mine was
                                  one.

                                  Go here http://www.egroups.com/group/MereLewis2 for more.

                                  mary s
                                • Wayne G. Hammond
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                    David Lenander wrote, in two messages:

                                    >The single volume
                                    >edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
                                    >Chronicles.

                                    The colored pictures are also in a seven-volume paperback set (available
                                    separately and boxed) published by HarperCollins U.K. in 1998.

                                    >It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
                                    >Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
                                    >laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as
                                    the
                                    >deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original
                                    black and
                                    >white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
                                    >without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
                                    >However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
                                    >paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I
                                    think
                                    >blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
                                    >wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of
                                    Baynes'
                                    >lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm
                                    happy
                                    >that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And
                                    they
                                    >told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the
                                    Chronicles in
                                    >this format.

                                    I don't find anything particularly wrong with the layout of the deluxe LWW,
                                    and the poor reproduction quality of the black and white pictures didn't
                                    result from the glossy paper but from degradation of the art since the
                                    fifties, being reproduced over and over again, from reproduction to
                                    reproduction as the original art has been mostly dispersed. The black and
                                    whites are only good to poor in most other editions and printings of the
                                    Narnia books, following the first few printings of the original U.K.
                                    editions. (The American editions didn't include the full number of
                                    illustrations that were published in Britain.) The black and whites in the
                                    deluxe LWW in fact vary in size relative to the first edition, some
                                    pictures larger, some smaller.

                                    However, the glossy paper did give an unfortunate shine to the pictures,
                                    particularly the color ones. Pauline remarked on it, compared to the same
                                    color illustrations as reproduced much more nicely, on a beautiful
                                    off-white matte finish stock, for the Narnia Calendar that came out the
                                    same time as the original (1991) printing of the deluxe LWW. The exception
                                    in the book is the superb endpapers which show Narnia coming out of winter
                                    into spring.

                                    And yes, HarperCollins did decide not to publish any more of the Narnia
                                    books in the same deluxe format, which I regret very much.

                                    >My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
                                    >mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
                                    >mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box.

                                    Two different boxes, in fact, at different times.

                                    >Even in
                                    >reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
                                    >yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
                                    >strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
                                    >illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available
                                    here. I
                                    >think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
                                    >time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
                                    >black-and-white illustrations.

                                    I would think the one-volume edition unwieldy for small hands, though of
                                    course sturdier for hard use. I wonder about the appeal of color, though.
                                    When black and white illustrations are well done, as by Baynes, or Shepard,
                                    for example, they have quite a lot of appeal without needing color, and I
                                    believe that children quite as well as, or even better than, adults pick up
                                    (subconsciously) on quality draftsmanship and design.

                                    >I visited the site Wayne mentioned, and while I didn't have time to really
                                    >explore it all, apparently the new paperback edition with Baynes color
                                    >jackets is already out in the U.S. The format is "digest-size," which means
                                    >they are larger than the Puffins I have, and may explain why the box is
                                    >clearly NOT the original art done on the Puffin edition, but simply some of
                                    >the cover art adapted for the box. (Alas). The format may be better for the
                                    >interior art than my old Puffins, though we shall see.... I worry that since
                                    >Pauline had designed wrap-around covers for the Puffins, the new ones may
                                    >dispense with the back illustration as the format is different.

                                    Actually only four of the seven volumes in the Puffin editions were
                                    complete wraparounds. The other three had solid-color spines interrupting
                                    the front and back cover art. Later Puffin had all solid-color spines.
                                    (Pauline did a number of wraparounds for Puffin. Her 1961 _Hobbit_ is
                                    probably the most famous. Her _Borrowers_ covers were good too, though
                                    there Puffin eventually dispensed with the back cover art in favor of
                                    blurbs etc.)

                                    >Interestingly, the page also shows the the other editions are being
                                    >re-released (as of next week?), with a new jacket on the deluxe LWW, for
                                    >instance, and an into by Doug Gresham to the one-volume (or was there an
                                    >intro in the original that I'm just forgetting?).

                                    There was an introduction in the original, but by Brian Sibley. I see, by
                                    the way, assuming that the graphic on the Narnia.com website is correct,
                                    that the British one-volume edition with the colored art now has a jacket
                                    like the American one-volume, based on Pauline's poster map of Narnia.
                                    Originally it was based on the winter-to-spring endpaper, nice but not as
                                    dramatic -- though more graphically interesting than the largely black and
                                    gold jacket on the other one-volume edition HarperCollins published in
                                    1998, for the adult market, with only black and white illustrations (or
                                    some of them).

                                    Wayne
                                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                      Hey, does this mean we can change the "Aslan" award from the
                                      expensive library lion statues to a bunch of stuffed animals?
                                      <vbg>

                                      Mythically yours,

                                      Lisa, you know how the treasurer always has to keep an eye on the
                                      budget

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 7, 2000
                                        Stolzi@... wrote:

                                        > In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:08:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                        > margdean@... writes:
                                        >
                                        > > Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?

                                        > Nobody knows what has happened to the listowner. There is a non-moderated
                                        > e-groups list around, put together by members who dug up a list of names, -
                                        > not all of them of course, particularly the lurkers. Obviously, mine was
                                        > one.
                                        >
                                        > Go here http://www.egroups.com/group/MereLewis2 for more.

                                        Thanks, Mary! I went ahead and signed up.

                                        --Margaret Dean
                                        <margdean@...>
                                      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 8, 2000
                                          All this information is leaving me lost at sea. So far I'm gathering that
                                          the best purchase in terms of art quality and book quality is the all-in-one
                                          book? Or is there a boxed set that can really compete? I'd much prefer a
                                          boxed set.

                                          This one that Wayne mentioned: The most interesting repackaging is
                                          the series in seven paperbacks whose covers reproduce Pauline's cover art
                                          for the old Puffin Books edition, which was never sold in the U.S. -- Does
                                          that have nice illustrations throughout?

                                          I still haven't been to the site. Just haven't been online much this week.
                                          And if there's half the information there that there is here lately, I'll
                                          just get more confused. LOL. Need to touch them all to see them properly I
                                          guess.

                                          Lizzie
                                        • LSolarion@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                            In a message dated 09/06/2000 4:21:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                            Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                                            << In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                                            series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                                            up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                                            and apparel."

                                            In India, Hindus have worshipped the cow for centuries.
                                            In America, we have a sacred cow as well; it's called the Cash Cow. The calf
                                            is always golden in the land of the free, where the unofficial state religion
                                            is Mammon-worship. Nothing else is sacred. The only value anything has is its
                                            money-making potential. Oh say can you see all the i-dol-a-try?

                                            Sorry...letting my intense disgust run away with me.
                                          • LSolarion@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                              In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:08:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                              margdean@... writes:

                                              << Speaking of the MereLewis list, btw, what's happened to it?
                                              There was a brief flurry of activity a few months back (after a
                                              long hiatus), and then silence again. >>

                                              It has been resurrected under new ownership; same old wonderful discussion,
                                              though. You can reach it at:

                                              MereLewis2-owner@egroups.com

                                              Steve
                                            • Wayne G. Hammond
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                                ><< In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
                                                > series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
                                                > up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
                                                > and apparel."
                                                > >>

                                                >In India, Hindus have worshipped the cow for centuries.
                                                >In America, we have a sacred cow as well; it's called the Cash Cow. The calf
                                                >is always golden in the land of the free, where the unofficial state
                                                religion
                                                >is Mammon-worship. Nothing else is sacred. The only value anything has is
                                                its
                                                >money-making potential. Oh say can you see all the i-dol-a-try?

                                                In fact, HarperCollins is a multinational corporation with its main offices
                                                in the U.K., and C.S. Lewis Pte Ltd. is also based outside the U.S.

                                                Wayne Hammond
                                              • Stolzi@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 9, 2000
                                                  In a message dated 09/09/2000 1:22:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                                  LSolarion@... writes:

                                                  > It has been resurrected under new ownership; same old wonderful discussion,
                                                  > though. You can reach it at:
                                                  >
                                                  > MereLewis2-owner@egroups.com

                                                  MereLewis is back at least for now, non-moderated. The ML2 crowd is trying
                                                  to move the discussion back to the original list. But will probably hold ML2
                                                  in reserve for future problems that may occur.

                                                  Mary S