Re: [mythsoc] Re: Onion Lady

  • Diego Seguí
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
      Concerning the source of the story in "The Brothers Karamazov", Dostoevsky wrote to his editor (N. Lyubimov): "I particularly beg you to proofread the legend of the little onion carefully. This is a gem, taken down by me from a peasant woman, aod of course published for the first time", though a version of this legend had first appeared in 1859 in A.N. Afanasev's collection "Russian Folk Legends" (J. Frank and D.I.Goldstein, "Selected Letters of F. Dostoevsky", 1990, p. 489).

      It may be that Dostoevsky had read this and didn't remember it, or (less likely) was unaware of its existence; but since Afanasev's book was banned by that time, it is generally assumed that D. was simply trying to mislead Lyubimov with this statement (S. Smyth, "The 'Lukovka' Legend in The Brothers Karamazov," Irish Slavonic Studies, 7 (1986), 41–51.)

      On the other hand, R.F. Miller says that "Dostoevsky's glee at transcribing this tale also harmonizes with his consistent search for originality and his tendency to boast when he had found new types, new anecdotes, new ideas to represent. It also meshes with his own tendency to forget and then remember things at the needed time." ("Dostoevsky's Unfinished Journey", Yale U.P. 2007, p. 208.)

      Diego Seguí