Onion Lady

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2011
      A query all the way from Australia. If anyone can help her, please send to her email (below).

      I first read something of her in The Tin Drum (Gunter Grass) but have not been able to track her down since.   From memory she was a mythical peasant figure who had a plethora of dependants clinging to ribbons hanging from her skirts.  when she finally got sick of them, she cut them off one by one until only one remained and when this person had gone she was consigned to hell.

      Do you have any records of this story and where I might find it and its origins ?

      With thanks,
      K. Thomas   02 43 90 3387
      malory@...

      --
      Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
      The Mythopoeic Society
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
        There is a similar story in the Brothers Karamazov Book 7 chapter 3:
        (Constance Garnett translation).

        Once upon a time there was a peasant woman and a very wicked woman she was. And she died and did not leave a single good deed behind. The devils caught her and plunged her into the lake of fire. So her guardian angel stood and wondered what good deed of hers he could remember to tell to God; `She once pulled up an onion in her garden,' said he, `and gave it to a beggar woman.' And God answered: `You take that onion then, hold it out to her in the lake, and let her take hold and be pulled out. And if you can pull her out of the lake, let her come to Paradise, but if the onion breaks, then the woman must stay where she is.' The angel ran to the woman and held out the onion to her. `Come,' said he, `catch hold and I'll pull you out.' And he began cautiously pulling her out. He had just pulled her right out, when the other sinners in the lake, seeing how she was being drawn out, began catching hold of her so as to be pulled out with her. But she was a very wicked woman and she began kicking them. `I'm to be pulled out, not you. It's my onion, not yours.' As soon as she said that, the onion broke. And the woman fell into the lake and she is burning there to this day. So the angel wept and went away.

        -- Ernie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Edith Crowe <correspondence@...> wrote:

        > A query all the way from Australia. If anyone can help her, please send to
        > her email (below).
        >
        > I first read something of her in The Tin Drum (Gunter Grass) but have not
        > been able to track her down since. From memory she was a mythical peasant
        > figure who had a plethora of dependants clinging to ribbons hanging from
        > her skirts. when she finally got sick of them, she cut them off one by one
        > until only one remained and when this person had gone she was consigned to
        > hell.
        >
        > Do you have any records of this story and where I might find it and its
        > origins ?
        >
        > With thanks,
        > K. Thomas 02 43 90 3387
        > malory@...
        >
        > --
        > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
        > The Mythopoeic Society
        > http://www.mythsoc.org | correspondence@...

      • Edith Crowe
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2011
          I see that Yahoo cut off her email--see cc above. Anyone else have info?

          On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:59 AM, <davise@...> wrote:

          There is a similar story in the Brothers Karamazov Book 7 chapter 3:
          (Constance Garnett translation).

          Once upon a time there was a peasant woman and a very wicked woman she was. And she died and did not leave a single good deed behind. The devils caught her and plunged her into the lake of fire. So her guardian angel stood and wondered what good deed of hers he could remember to tell to God; `She once pulled up an onion in her garden,' said he, `and gave it to a beggar woman.' And God answered: `You take that onion then, hold it out to her in the lake, and let her take hold and be pulled out. And if you can pull her out of the lake, let her come to Paradise, but if the onion breaks, then the woman must stay where she is.' The angel ran to the woman and held out the onion to her. `Come,' said he, `catch hold and I'll pull you out.' And he began cautiously pulling her out. He had just pulled her right out, when the other sinners in the lake, seeing how she was being drawn out, began catching hold of her so as to be pulled out with her. But she was a very wicked woman and she began kicking them. `I'm to be pulled out, not you. It's my onion, not yours.' As soon as she said that, the onion broke. And the woman fell into the lake and she is burning there to this day. So the angel wept and went away.

          -- Ernie

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Edith Crowe <correspondence@...> wrote:

          > A query all the way from Australia. If anyone can help her, please send to
          > her email (below).
          >
          > I first read something of her in The Tin Drum (Gunter Grass) but have not
          > been able to track her down since. From memory she was a mythical peasant
          > figure who had a plethora of dependants clinging to ribbons hanging from
          > her skirts. when she finally got sick of them, she cut them off one by one
          > until only one remained and when this person had gone she was consigned to
          > hell.
          >
          > Do you have any records of this story and where I might find it and its
          > origins ?
          >
          > With thanks,
          > K. Thomas 02 43 90 3387
          > malory@...

          > --
          > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
          > The Mythopoeic Society
          > http://www.mythsoc.org | correspondence@...

          --
          Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
          The Mythopoeic Society
        • Lisa Harrigan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2011
            Edith -

            It is malory at southernphone dot com dot au

            Yahoo cuts them off to keep robots from data mining e-mail.

            Lisa

            On 11/12/2011 1:09 PM, Edith Crowe wrote:

            > I see that Yahoo cut off her email--see cc above. Anyone else have info?
            >
            > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:59 AM, <davise@...
            > <mailto:davise@...>> wrote:
            >
            > There is a similar story in the Brothers Karamazov Book 7 chapter 3:
            > (Constance Garnett translation).
            >
            > Once upon a time there was a peasant woman and a very wicked woman
            > she was. And she died and did not leave a single good deed behind.
            > The devils caught her and plunged her into the lake of fire. So
            > her guardian angel stood and wondered what good deed of hers he
            > could remember to tell to God; `She once pulled up an onion in her
            > garden,' said he, `and gave it to a beggar woman.' And God
            > answered: `You take that onion then, hold it out to her in the
            > lake, and let her take hold and be pulled out. And if you can pull
            > her out of the lake, let her come to Paradise, but if the onion
            > breaks, then the woman must stay where she is.' The angel ran to
            > the woman and held out the onion to her. `Come,' said he, `catch
            > hold and I'll pull you out.' And he began cautiously pulling her
            > out. He had just pulled her right out, when the other sinners in
            > the lake, seeing how she was being drawn out, began catching hold
            > of her so as to be pulled out with her. But she was a very wicked
            > woman and she began kicking them. `I'm to be pulled out, not you.
            > It's my onion, not yours.' As soon as she said that, the onion
            > broke. And the woman fell into the lake and she is burning there
            > to this day. So the angel wept and went away.
            >
            > -- Ernie

          • Diego Seguí
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
              Concerning the source of the story in "The Brothers Karamazov", Dostoevsky wrote to his editor (N. Lyubimov): "I particularly beg you to proofread the legend of the little onion carefully. This is a gem, taken down by me from a peasant woman, aod of course published for the first time", though a version of this legend had first appeared in 1859 in A.N. Afanasev's collection "Russian Folk Legends" (J. Frank and D.I.Goldstein, "Selected Letters of F. Dostoevsky", 1990, p. 489).

              It may be that Dostoevsky had read this and didn't remember it, or (less likely) was unaware of its existence; but since Afanasev's book was banned by that time, it is generally assumed that D. was simply trying to mislead Lyubimov with this statement (S. Smyth, "The 'Lukovka' Legend in The Brothers Karamazov," Irish Slavonic Studies, 7 (1986), 41–51.)

              On the other hand, R.F. Miller says that "Dostoevsky's glee at transcribing this tale also harmonizes with his consistent search for originality and his tendency to boast when he had found new types, new anecdotes, new ideas to represent. It also meshes with his own tendency to forget and then remember things at the needed time." ("Dostoevsky's Unfinished Journey", Yale U.P. 2007, p. 208.)

              Diego Seguí