Re: [mythsoc] interesting take on harry potter

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2000
      In a message dated 09/04/2000 8:00:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
      smasson@... writes:

      > used Renaissance
      > portraits, some of Shakespeare's plays, stories about alchemists, etc; but
      > they were familiar with the idea of alchemists and philosopher's stones etc
      > because of the HP books, and very keen on entering what for them was
      fantasy
      > worlds.

      But of course the alchemists themselves thought they were being real (not
      fantasy) scientists. CS Lewis writes about this somewhere...

      Sounds like you had a great unit.

      Mary S
    • LSolarion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
        In a message dated 09/04/2000 11:11:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        << it won't be the same as in other
        > Church of England parishes.
        >
        > This one will speak of sorting hats, Muggle songs, quidditch, and
        > ton-tongue toffees. It's the Harry Potter liturgy, designed to attract
        youth. >>

        From clown masses in the seventies to this! You've come a short way, baby.
        I suppose it's inevitable that once the Church waters down or loses sight of
        the eternal, it will fall for the trendy, trading reverence for relevance.
        Not a good bargain, in my book. Instead of trying to be what it's not and
        chasing after every elusive fad that dies daily like the mayfly, not like St.
        Paul, why can't the church focus on the everlasting Gospel, which is what so
        many are looking for? Churches that do that are not hurting for young
        members, who aren't fooled by a lot of patronizing old folks trading their
        birthright for the pottage of appearing "with it." Young people want older
        folks to be genuine, not blundering imitations of youth.
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2000
          In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:43:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
          LSolarion@... writes:

          > who aren't fooled by a lot of patronizing old folks trading their
          > birthright for the pottage

          No Harry Pottage, you're saying? :)

          Mary S
        • Sophie Masson
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2000
            Hear, hear!
            Sophie
            Author site:
            http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2000
              In a message dated 09/07/2000 7:40:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              Stolzi@... writes:

              << No Harry Pottage, you're saying? :)

              I hope not! Hair in my pottage makes my throat tickle.

              Steve