Re: Article about studying Icelandic sagas by Nancy Marie Brown

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
      I clicked on the link but it required a current subscription (I have one but their records are wrong!) so not everyone may be able to access this.

    • davise@cs.nyu.edu
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
        Sue --

        I presume you mean the TLS review of Pearl, my other post? (I can't imagine there's any problem with the Nancy Marie Brown link.) Sorry about that; the TLS web site is a mess. Sometimes clicking on this without being logged in I get the article; sometimes I get an invitation to subscribe; sometimes I just get a "We're having trouble with our website" message. Anyway, if you or anyone else wants a copy of the review, email me privately davise@... and I'll mail you a copy.

        -- Ernie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <suebridgwater@...> wrote:

        > I clicked on the link but it required a current subscription (I have one but their records are wrong!) so not everyone may be able to access this.
        >
        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@ wrote:
        > >
        > > I ran across this article while browsing around, and thought the folks here might enjoy it.
        > >
        > > http://www.rps.psu.edu/0201/practical.html
        > >
        > > The author, Nancy Marie Brown, recently published a book "The Abacus and the Cross: The Story of the Pope who Brought the Light of Science to the Dark Ages", a biography of Pope Sylvester II, which looks fascinating.

      • Sue Bridgwater
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
          Yes I did!  Maybe one of these days I'll get the hang of answering the right post.  I take the TLS so have seen the article anyway, the Times is notoriously expensive and won't even let you access an obituary of a private person without cash up front.  One of the reasons I read the Guardian!

          from Sue

        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011

            Interesting essay. She seems determined to turn medieval history upside down (http://www.nasw.org/users/nmb/).

            --
            Michael Martinez
            http://www.michael-martinez.com/

            YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
            http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
              In what way does she seem to turn medieval history upside down?  Most of her claims on the website you link to are well known to anyone well read on medieval history.  Some of them might disconcert people who know little about the Middle Ages, but that's their problem, not hers.  For instance:

              > The earth wasn't flat.

              Anyone even slightly interested in the Middle Ages is aware that everyone since the classical Greeks (at least) has known that the Earth is round.  The same is true of the other statements she makes there.  It's standard medieval history.

              I was afraid that you meant that she was a nut case like Anatoly Fomenko or Heribert Illig, with a theory that all of known history is has been distorted:

              Wendell Wagner

              In a message dated 11/4/2011 1:23:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, michael.martinez@... writes:
              She seems determined to turn medieval history upside down
            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
                I'd have to agree with Wendell on this one.  I would rather say that Brown seems determined to turn popular misconceptions about the early middle ages right side up!  And I applaud her for it!  Thanks for the link, Michael.
                --
                Larry Swain

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011

                  > In what way does she seem to turn medieval history upside down?
                  > Most of her claims on the website you link to are well known to
                  > anyone well read on medieval history. Some of them might
                  > disconcert people who know little about the Middle Ages, but
                  > that's their problem, not hers. For instance:

                  Well, I suppose it's more a philosophical point of view. What is history? What is fact? The popular conception of what the medieval world knew or believed or fancied is very different from the expert conception.

                  I have often said that facts are not democratically determined but nonetheless "history" is what we teach ourselves and it may or may not reflect the facts we can verify.

                  There is an archaeologist who has challenged the the common conception that the most ancient "temples" were not temples at all (http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-archaeologist-world-oldest-temples.html). He's not the first to challenge the idea but it is quite common to see archaeologists speaking of new discoveries in terms of sacred sites, ritual locations, temple-like structures, etc. You'd think that our prehistoric ancestors thought of nothing else but building temples and altars and sacred objects for worship. Did they never eat or sleep or play?

                  History is a story that changes but the "experts" see the details better than the majority of people. I just get the impression from Nancy Brown's site that she wants to challenge popular ideas about the medieval period. Perhaps she is being a little sensationalistic.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                    > I'd have to agree with Wendell on this one. I would rather say
                    > that Brown seems determined to turn popular misconceptions about
                    > the early middle ages right side up! And I applaud her for it!
                    > Thanks for the link, Michael.

                    That's more what I should have said, was fumbling to say.