Re: interesting take on harry potter

  • Melinda Jane Harrison
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      Nin:

      Since you posted this and it also gives a little tidbit by King and I feel
      I won't be condemned,
      I have to admit I am one of those people who did not buy all the Harry
      Potter books, and well, after reading the first, I felt it was okay, but
      not GREAT. <g> I never really tell people this, but I don't much like her
      style either. Her prose is not great, and my youngest son did not go
      bananas over it. However this may be because my son reads Call of the Wild,
      Robinson Crusoe, and all the other classics. He also liked the series that
      Edit Nesbit wrote much better, and he liked the fairty tales of Oscar Wilde
      even though he didn't get all of the symbolism. Alexander Lloyd is a
      favorite. But he went through Narnia in the 3 or 4th grade and all those
      others by the 6th. They say Harry Potter is for 10 and up now. Well, my
      youngest son just finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, so I don't think he
      considers Harry Potter dark or something.

      I know I will probably end up collecting all of them, as I collect many
      books, but I will wait for trade paper for all or get them in the SF Club
      or something.

      I was must more impressed with the NEW translation of The Little Prince.

      And what I consider a classic is what I loved as a child and still
      love...like Narnia or The Melendy Family series by Elizabeth Enright. I
      love those novels. Talk about great writing, I mean dialogue and style and
      all.

      Of course, I think it's great that Harry Potter made it. But I hate all
      the hype. I hate they are making toys and doing the movie bit. But I do
      believe a lot of this is our popular culture and how we respond to
      bestsellers, etc.

      All this said and done, my sister, who is 16 years older than old me just
      LOVES Harry. <G>

      Jane