Re: [mythsoc] New translation of "Pearl"

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
      I teach those texts in translation using the Tolkien ones.  I'd be interested in seeing comparative review(s) if that counts for anything.
      --
      Larry Swain

      On Monday, October 24, 2011 9:20 AM, "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      Perhaps of similar interest is Joseph Glaser's new translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, published just last month by Hackett, and with an introduction by Christine Chism, who is known in Tolkien circles. I had already given some thought to doing a sort of comparative review for Mythprint; maybe including the new translation of Pearl would be worthwhile too.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
        And I as well.  It might be prudent to throw in a third brief comparison to John Gardner’s translation.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
          The TLS review is now online:

          http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/reviews/other_categories/article802565.ece