Re: [mythsoc] New translation of "Pearl"

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
      Perhaps of similar interest is Joseph Glaser's new translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, published just last month by Hackett, and with an introduction by Christine Chism, who is known in Tolkien circles. I had already given some thought to doing a sort of comparative review for Mythprint; maybe including the new translation of Pearl would be worthwhile too.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
        I teach those texts in translation using the Tolkien ones.  I'd be interested in seeing comparative review(s) if that counts for anything.
        --
        Larry Swain

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
          And I as well.  It might be prudent to throw in a third brief comparison to John Gardner’s translation.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
            The TLS review is now online:

            http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/reviews/other_categories/article802565.ece