RE: [mythsoc] New translation of "Pearl"

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011

      I’ll take a look to see if it should be reviewed in Mythlore in comparison with Tolkien’s translation.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
        Perhaps of similar interest is Joseph Glaser's new translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, published just last month by Hackett, and with an introduction by Christine Chism, who is known in Tolkien circles. I had already given some thought to doing a sort of comparative review for Mythprint; maybe including the new translation of Pearl would be worthwhile too.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
          I teach those texts in translation using the Tolkien ones.  I'd be interested in seeing comparative review(s) if that counts for anything.
          --
          Larry Swain

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
            And I as well.  It might be prudent to throw in a third brief comparison to John Gardner’s translation.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
              The TLS review is now online:

              http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/reviews/other_categories/article802565.ece