New translation of "Pearl"

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2011
      Jane Draycott's new (April) translation of "Pearl" gets a favorable review in Times Literary Supplement; unfortunately the review doesn't seem to be online yet.

      A few quotes:
      "Jane Draycott's version of Pearl is .. very welcome".
      "At times her version is remarkably beautiful."
      ".. this will deservedly become the form in which most people read
      Pearl. It is all the more regrettable that it has not been supplied with the editorial matter that would explain how a modern rendering can,
      at best, be only a shadow of the original, for the Pearl-poet, had he written nothing else, would stand among the greatest writers in the English language."
    • Sue Bridgwater
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2011
        Takes 2 weeks for TLS stuff to get into the electronic archive, and even then you can't always access everything, especially if you are not a subscriber.

        from Sue

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011

          I’ll take a look to see if it should be reviewed in Mythlore in comparison with Tolkien’s translation.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
            Perhaps of similar interest is Joseph Glaser's new translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, published just last month by Hackett, and with an introduction by Christine Chism, who is known in Tolkien circles. I had already given some thought to doing a sort of comparative review for Mythprint; maybe including the new translation of Pearl would be worthwhile too.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
              I teach those texts in translation using the Tolkien ones.  I'd be interested in seeing comparative review(s) if that counts for anything.
              --
              Larry Swain

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2011
                And I as well.  It might be prudent to throw in a third brief comparison to John Gardner’s translation.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
                  The TLS review is now online:

                  http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/reviews/other_categories/article802565.ece