John Rateliff interview is now published

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2011
        What's the authority for stating that Helen Buckhurst was a member of the Coalbiters? Or Hugo Dyson?

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2011

          > What's the authority for stating that Helen Buckhurst was a member of
          > the Coalbiters? Or Hugo Dyson?

          My source appears to be one of your least favorite authors: Daniel Grotta. I should have done more research on the Coalbiters and found some corroboration for his statement.

          I have amended the article to read this way:

          Helen MacMillan Buckhurst was an Icelandic scholar and friend of J.R.R. Tolkien's whom he met at Oxford; (according to controversial writer Daniel Grotta she was a member of the Coalbiters, the informal group of scholars who discussed Icelandic myth and sagas at local pubs and other informal locations -- I have been unable to corroborate this claim). Other members of the group included C.S. Lewis, (perhaps Hugo Dyson?), Neville Coghill, and George Gordon among others.