Re: [mythsoc] interesting take on harry potter

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4 11:38 AM
      In a message dated 09/03/2000 10:02:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
      Ninzian@... writes:

      > Would be
      > intersted to know what other people think --

      Since you ask, Ninzian, I pretty much agree with the article at
      http://news.excite.com/news/uw/000831/entertainment-arts-93.

      I am a little more sanguine, though, than its author about =some= children
      (at least) being sucked into reading and discovering its pleasures through
      HARRY POTTER.

      Am not so sure about the author's preference for a book called THE WESTING
      GAME. That doesn't sound wike much fun, I would wather be pwaying than
      westing.

      Mary S
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4 2:23 PM
        >From: Stolzi@...

        >Am not so sure about the author's preference for a book called THE WESTING
        >GAME. That doesn't sound wike much fun, I would wather be pwaying than
        >westing.

        THE WESTING GAME is a good example of a book I think is highly over-rated.
        Fran Skene told me about it years ago (at the 1989 Mythcon?). She was a
        children's librarian and said the kids were crazy about this book. It's a
        mystery, not a fantasy, but I didn't find it appealing at all.

        Wendell: Re the Goosebumps books, they are much more simplistic than the
        Harry Potter books. They're obviously intended for younger readers and are
        light-hearted horror. Steven King for second-graders.

        Berni
      • Sophie Masson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4 5:54 PM
          Hi Wendell
          I should have explained--the children were writing about 16th cent Venice
          because that was the idea I was working with them on--I used Renaissance
          portraits, some of Shakespeare's plays, stories about alchemists, etc; but
          they were familiar with the idea of alchemists and philosopher's stones etc
          because of the HP books, and very keen on entering what for them was fantasy
          worlds.
          My books are just starting to be published in the US by a small publisher
          called St Mary's press--my novel Serafin, which is based n Puss in Boots and
          the idea of the Nephilim, is now available(you can get it through amazon);
          Malkin, which was published in Australia as Cold Iron, and is based on A
          Midsummer night's Dream and the fairytale Tattercoats(and also features a
          Venetian magician called Oscuro!)will be published early next year, as will
          Clementine, which is based on Sleeping Beauty and also the nexus between the
          beluef in fairies and the pre-industrial world. My Australian-published
          books, through Hodder and Harper Collins and so on, are vailable through the
          Australian Online Bookshop, http://www.bookworm.com.au I'm happy to send
          books of mine to people personally too if they're interested; my forthcoming
          novel, The Green Prince(Hodder Headline Australia)is set around legends of
          water and the sea, it's a young boy's underwater journey to the legendary
          Green Kingdom..
          Back to Rowling. I think that perhaps many people are disturbed by the fact
          that she seems to have no specifically religious framework perhaps in her
          books--but i think many people even now don't realise that Lewis and Tolkien
          did, either. I have a good friend who is an educator and a very committed
          Catholic, and she has written to the effect that she thinks the HP books
          actually do have a very strong religious and moral framework. Others think
          not..
          Re the idea of classics versus fads: I have read the Goosebumps books and
          they are utter tripe; poorly written, exploitative, dull as dotchwater in
          the end. Same for things like Babysitters' Club style stuff. It does not
          extend you. The HP books do. Classics become classics because children grow
          up remembering the total pleasure a book gave them--and as grown ups, they
          rseek the out again and read them to their kids. It will be interesting to
          know whether Rowling's books do this. My feeling is that they will.
          Sophie

          Author site:
          http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5 10:29 AM
            In a message dated 09/04/2000 8:00:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
            smasson@... writes:

            > used Renaissance
            > portraits, some of Shakespeare's plays, stories about alchemists, etc; but
            > they were familiar with the idea of alchemists and philosopher's stones etc
            > because of the HP books, and very keen on entering what for them was
            fantasy
            > worlds.

            But of course the alchemists themselves thought they were being real (not
            fantasy) scientists. CS Lewis writes about this somewhere...

            Sounds like you had a great unit.

            Mary S
          • LSolarion@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6 6:37 PM
              In a message dated 09/04/2000 11:11:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              Stolzi@... writes:

              << it won't be the same as in other
              > Church of England parishes.
              >
              > This one will speak of sorting hats, Muggle songs, quidditch, and
              > ton-tongue toffees. It's the Harry Potter liturgy, designed to attract
              youth. >>

              From clown masses in the seventies to this! You've come a short way, baby.
              I suppose it's inevitable that once the Church waters down or loses sight of
              the eternal, it will fall for the trendy, trading reverence for relevance.
              Not a good bargain, in my book. Instead of trying to be what it's not and
              chasing after every elusive fad that dies daily like the mayfly, not like St.
              Paul, why can't the church focus on the everlasting Gospel, which is what so
              many are looking for? Churches that do that are not hurting for young
              members, who aren't fooled by a lot of patronizing old folks trading their
              birthright for the pottage of appearing "with it." Young people want older
              folks to be genuine, not blundering imitations of youth.
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7 7:38 AM
                In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:43:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
                LSolarion@... writes:

                > who aren't fooled by a lot of patronizing old folks trading their
                > birthright for the pottage

                No Harry Pottage, you're saying? :)

                Mary S
              • Sophie Masson
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7 2:36 PM
                  Hear, hear!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 9 11:38 AM
                    In a message dated 09/07/2000 7:40:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    Stolzi@... writes:

                    << No Harry Pottage, you're saying? :)

                    I hope not! Hair in my pottage makes my throat tickle.

                    Steve