Re: [mythsoc] Looking for Tolkien scholarly blogs

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
      Michael,

      If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel confident I have a full list.

      In addition to our blog ( http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com), which you have on your list and on which we make occasional comments about Tolkien (as well as on gardening, travel, reading, etc.), we have a standard website, http://www.hammondandscull.com, where we maintain addenda and corrigenda for our Tolkien-related publications.

      Michael (Michael George) Tolkien, JRRT's grandson, has a website at http://www.michaeltolkien.com/ which includes essays on JRRT.

      Wayne & Christina

    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
        Thanks, Wayne. I'll make a note and add them to the list when I move it to the Webliography page (the blog post will be updated with a note at the top).

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

        > Michael,
        >
        > >If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been
        > >published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least
        > >maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even
        > >interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if
        > >they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the
        > >Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel
        > >confident I have a full list.
        >
        > In addition to our blog (http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com),
        > which you have on your list and on which we make occasional comments
        > about Tolkien (as well as on gardening, travel, reading, etc.), we
        > have a standard website, http://www.hammondandscull.com, where we
        > maintain addenda and corrigenda for our Tolkien-related publications.
        >
        > Michael (Michael George) Tolkien, JRRT's grandson, has a website at
        > http://www.michaeltolkien.com/ which includes essays on JRRT.
        >
        > Wayne & Christina

      • ferretolk
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
          Dear Michal Martinez,

          As far as French is concerned, I run www.pourtolkien.fr (with a database of PhDs & MAs, articles, etc.). But do not forget the Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft, the Società Tolkieniana Italiana, etc.
          best wishes,
          Dr. Vincent Ferré

          Université Paris XIII
          Département Littérature
          http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

          Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:31 PM
          Subject: [mythsoc] Looking for Tolkien scholarly blogs

          I've been meaning to compile a list of active Websites (or publicly usable archives) published by or about Tolkien scholars for a long time. I'm not just talking about English/Literature/History professors but generally anyone acknowledged as a scholar by the rest of the community.

          Last night I took a first shot with an article titled "The Much Bemusing Bloggery of Tolkien Scholarli" (http://blog.tolkien-studies.com/2011/09/21/the-much-bemusing-bloggery-of-online-tolkien-scholarli/) but I am sure the list is incomplete.

          If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel confident I have a full list.

          I do still check this list occasionally so I'll any replies made here, or people are welcome to comment on the blog, or email me, or contact me through Twitter (@xenite_org), etc.

          Thanks in advance.

          --
          Michael Martinez
          http://www.michael-martinez.com/

          YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
          http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

          __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 6482 (20110921) __________

          Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

          http://www.eset.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ferretolk" <ferretolk@...> wrote:
            > Dear Michal Martinez,
            >
            > As far as French is concerned, I run www.pourtolkien.fr (with a database of PhDs & MAs, articles, etc.). But do not forget the Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft, the Società Tolkieniana Italiana, etc.
            > best wishes,
            > Dr. Vincent Ferré
            >
            > Université Paris XIII
            > Département Littérature
            > http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

            Noted. Thank you very much.

            I'll gladly accept suggestions in any language, of course. I know there was once a very active Tolkien community in Europe. I'm already linking to the Forodrim site on the Webliography page but any blogs or article archives that have appeared over the last 4-5 years would be good to mention.

            --
            Michael Martinez
            http://www.michael-martinez.com/

            YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
            http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
          • Paola Castagno
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
              Hello Michael,

              Do not forget us too (again): Elfenomeno.com, spanish website devoted to Tolkien since 1999 (FAQs, online encyclopedia, articles, etc..)

              We have published a book on FAQs about Tolkien and his work :

              and a guide for students on The Hobbit:

              Paola Castagno

              On 22 September 2011 09:05, Michael Martinez <michael_martinez2@...> wrote:

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ferretolk" <ferretolk@...> wrote:
              > Dear Michal Martinez,
              >
              > As far as French is concerned, I run www.pourtolkien.fr (with a database of PhDs & MAs, articles, etc.). But do not forget the Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft, the Società Tolkieniana Italiana, etc.
              > best wishes,
              > Dr. Vincent Ferré
              >
              > Université Paris XIII
              > Département Littérature
              > http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

              Noted. Thank you very much.

              I'll gladly accept suggestions in any language, of course. I know there was once a very active Tolkien community in Europe. I'm already linking to the Forodrim site on the Webliography page but any blogs or article archives that have appeared over the last 4-5 years would be good to mention.

              --
              Michael Martinez
              http://www.michael-martinez.com/

              YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
              http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 23, 2011

                I post most of my papers at Academia.edu, at the link below, and list upcoming public talks.

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Associate Professor
                Head of Access Services
                University of Oklahoma Libraries
                Bizzell 104NW
                Norman OK 73019
                405-325-1918
                Fax 405-325-7618
                jbcroft@...
                http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/CurriculumVitae
                http://libraries.ou.edu/
                Editor of Mythlore
                http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                Thanks, Wayne. I'll make a note and add them to the list when I move it to the Webliography page (the blog post will be updated with a note at the top).

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

                > Michael,
                >
                > >If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been
                > >published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least
                > >maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even
                > >interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if
                > >they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the
                > >Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel
                > >confident I have a full list.
                >
                > In addition to our blog (http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com),
                > which you have on your list and on which we make occasional comments
                > about Tolkien (as well as on gardening, travel, reading, etc.), we
                > have a standard website, http://www.hammondandscull.com, where we
                > maintain addenda and corrigenda for our Tolkien-related publications.
                >
                > Michael (Michael George) Tolkien, JRRT's grandson, has a website at
                > http://www.michaeltolkien.com/ which includes essays on JRRT.
                >
                > Wayne & Christina

              • Jeremy Edmonds

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 24, 2011
                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                    > Also,
                    >
                    > http://www.dianaglyer.com/blog/
                    >
                    > Jeremy

                    Thanks.

                    Janet, saw your message too, thank you.

                    --
                    Michael Martinez
                    http://www.michael-martinez.com/

                    YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
                    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
                  • John Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 24, 2011
                      Although it's recently wrapped up, I'd include Kristin Thompson's The Frodo Franchise website as well for the archives.
                      --John R.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 25, 2011

                        > Although it's recently wrapped up, I'd include Kristin Thompson's The Frodo Franchise website as well for the archives.
                        > --John R.

                        Will do.

                        Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                          > Also,
                          >
                          > http://www.dianaglyer.com/blog/
                          >
                          > Jeremy

                          Thanks. I think I'll be able to work on the site a little this weekend. I'll make sure I add it to the Webliography then.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
                            Sorry. I changed email settings and Yahoo! Groups reversed the polarity on me.

                            Still -- the Webliography is looking sparse and needs descriptions anyway.