Looking for Tolkien scholarly blogs

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
      I've been meaning to compile a list of active Websites (or publicly usable archives) published by or about Tolkien scholars for a long time. I'm not just talking about English/Literature/History professors but generally anyone acknowledged as a scholar by the rest of the community.

      Last night I took a first shot with an article titled "The Much Bemusing Bloggery of Tolkien Scholarli" (http://blog.tolkien-studies.com/2011/09/21/the-much-bemusing-bloggery-of-online-tolkien-scholarli/) but I am sure the list is incomplete.

      If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel confident I have a full list.

      I do still check this list occasionally so I'll any replies made here, or people are welcome to comment on the blog, or email me, or contact me through Twitter (@xenite_org), etc.

      Thanks in advance.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      http://www.michael-martinez.com/

      YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
      http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
        Michael,

        If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel confident I have a full list.

        In addition to our blog ( http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com), which you have on your list and on which we make occasional comments about Tolkien (as well as on gardening, travel, reading, etc.), we have a standard website, http://www.hammondandscull.com, where we maintain addenda and corrigenda for our Tolkien-related publications.

        Michael (Michael George) Tolkien, JRRT's grandson, has a website at http://www.michaeltolkien.com/ which includes essays on JRRT.

        Wayne & Christina

      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
          Thanks, Wayne. I'll make a note and add them to the list when I move it to the Webliography page (the blog post will be updated with a note at the top).

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

          > Michael,
          >
          > >If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been
          > >published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least
          > >maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even
          > >interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if
          > >they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the
          > >Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel
          > >confident I have a full list.
          >
          > In addition to our blog (http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com),
          > which you have on your list and on which we make occasional comments
          > about Tolkien (as well as on gardening, travel, reading, etc.), we
          > have a standard website, http://www.hammondandscull.com, where we
          > maintain addenda and corrigenda for our Tolkien-related publications.
          >
          > Michael (Michael George) Tolkien, JRRT's grandson, has a website at
          > http://www.michaeltolkien.com/ which includes essays on JRRT.
          >
          > Wayne & Christina

        • ferretolk
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
            Dear Michal Martinez,

            As far as French is concerned, I run www.pourtolkien.fr (with a database of PhDs & MAs, articles, etc.). But do not forget the Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft, the Società Tolkieniana Italiana, etc.
            best wishes,
            Dr. Vincent Ferré

            Université Paris XIII
            Département Littérature
            http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

            Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:31 PM
            Subject: [mythsoc] Looking for Tolkien scholarly blogs

[...]

            __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 6482 (20110921) __________

            Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

            http://www.eset.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ferretolk" <ferretolk@...> wrote:
              > Dear Michal Martinez,
              >
              > As far as French is concerned, I run www.pourtolkien.fr (with a database of PhDs & MAs, articles, etc.). But do not forget the Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft, the Società Tolkieniana Italiana, etc.
              > best wishes,
              > Dr. Vincent Ferré
              >
              > Université Paris XIII
              > Département Littérature
              > http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

              Noted. Thank you very much.

              I'll gladly accept suggestions in any language, of course. I know there was once a very active Tolkien community in Europe. I'm already linking to the Forodrim site on the Webliography page but any blogs or article archives that have appeared over the last 4-5 years would be good to mention.

              --
              Michael Martinez
              http://www.michael-martinez.com/

              YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
              http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
            • Paola Castagno
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
                Hello Michael,

                Do not forget us too (again): Elfenomeno.com, spanish website devoted to Tolkien since 1999 (FAQs, online encyclopedia, articles, etc..)

                We have published a book on FAQs about Tolkien and his work :

                and a guide for students on The Hobbit:

                Paola Castagno

                On 22 September 2011 09:05, Michael Martinez <michael_martinez2@...> wrote:

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ferretolk" <ferretolk@...> wrote:
                > Dear Michal Martinez,
                >
                > As far as French is concerned, I run www.pourtolkien.fr (with a database of PhDs & MAs, articles, etc.). But do not forget the Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft, the Società Tolkieniana Italiana, etc.
                > best wishes,
                > Dr. Vincent Ferré
                >
                > Université Paris XIII
                > Département Littérature
                > http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

                Noted. Thank you very much.

                I'll gladly accept suggestions in any language, of course. I know there was once a very active Tolkien community in Europe. I'm already linking to the Forodrim site on the Webliography page but any blogs or article archives that have appeared over the last 4-5 years would be good to mention.

                --
                Michael Martinez
                http://www.michael-martinez.com/

                YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
                http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 23, 2011

                  I post most of my papers at Academia.edu, at the link below, and list upcoming public talks.

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  Associate Professor
                  Head of Access Services
                  University of Oklahoma Libraries
                  Bizzell 104NW
                  Norman OK 73019
                  405-325-1918
                  Fax 405-325-7618
                  jbcroft@...
                  http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/CurriculumVitae
                  http://libraries.ou.edu/
                  Editor of Mythlore
                  http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                  Thanks, Wayne. I'll make a note and add them to the list when I move it to the Webliography page (the blog post will be updated with a note at the top).

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

                  > Michael,
                  >
                  > >If anyone knows of a well-respected researcher who has been
                  > >published or acknowledged in publication who BLOGS or at least
                  > >maintains an online archive of essays or research (I'm even
                  > >interested in bibliographies that provide a unique point of view if
                  > >they are well done), please let me know. I intend to expand the
                  > >Webliography page for Tolkien Studies on the Web when I feel
                  > >confident I have a full list.
                  >
                  > In addition to our blog (http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com),
                  > which you have on your list and on which we make occasional comments
                  > about Tolkien (as well as on gardening, travel, reading, etc.), we
                  > have a standard website, http://www.hammondandscull.com, where we
                  > maintain addenda and corrigenda for our Tolkien-related publications.
                  >
                  > Michael (Michael George) Tolkien, JRRT's grandson, has a website at
                  > http://www.michaeltolkien.com/ which includes essays on JRRT.
                  >
                  > Wayne & Christina

                • Jeremy Edmonds

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 24, 2011
                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                      > Also,
                      >
                      > http://www.dianaglyer.com/blog/
                      >
                      > Jeremy

                      Thanks.

                      Janet, saw your message too, thank you.

                      --
                      Michael Martinez
                      http://www.michael-martinez.com/

                      YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
                      http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
                    • John Rateliff
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 24, 2011
                        Although it's recently wrapped up, I'd include Kristin Thompson's The Frodo Franchise website as well for the archives.
                        --John R.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 25, 2011

                          > Although it's recently wrapped up, I'd include Kristin Thompson's The Frodo Franchise website as well for the archives.
                          > --John R.

                          Will do.

                          Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                            > Also,
                            >
                            > http://www.dianaglyer.com/blog/
                            >
                            > Jeremy

                            Thanks. I think I'll be able to work on the site a little this weekend. I'll make sure I add it to the Webliography then.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
                              Sorry. I changed email settings and Yahoo! Groups reversed the polarity on me.

                              Still -- the Webliography is looking sparse and needs descriptions anyway.