Re: [mythsoc] The Amy Player Saga

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
      Let me make this clear.  I wasn't claiming that Amy Player was representative of anything.  I wasn't claiming that this was a deeply significant story.  I was posting a link to this story because 1) I'm a Tolkien fan and 2) you're all Tolkien fans, and 3) therefore it's kind of an interesting story (in my opinion).  I find that I have a lot of trouble when I make this kind of point.  People think that I'm making a judgment on what has happened when I'm doing no such thing.  If I want to say that I think something is terrible, I would say so.  If I want to say that I think something is great, I would say so.

      Wendell

      In a message dated 9/12/2011 12:26:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, darrellm@... writes:
      Every "in" group has its embarrassments. Amy Player (whatever else h/s/i
      may be) is no more representative of Tolkien fandom than the Norwegian
      murderer of young political liberals is representative of European
      isolationists. We are simply looking at a bent hnau. There is no more
      deep significance to Amy Player, and possibly less, than the woman who
      showed up for jury selection wearing a Starfleet uniform.

    • Darrell A. Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
        On 9/12/2011 8:43 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:

        > Let me make this clear. I wasn't claiming that Amy Player was
        > representative of anything. I wasn't claiming that this was a deeply
        > significant story. I was posting a link to this story because 1) I'm a
        > Tolkien fan and 2) you're all Tolkien fans, and 3) therefore it's kind
        > of an interesting story (in my opinion). I find that I have a lot of
        > trouble when I make this kind of point. People think that I'm making a
        > judgment on what has happened when I'm doing no such thing. If I want to
        > say that I think something is terrible, I would say so. If I want to say
        > that I think something is great, I would say so.
        > Wendell

        Wendell:

        For my part, my comment was just that; my comment. If I had wanted to
        say you were making a judgment, and that I disagreed with it, I would
        have said so.

        Darrell
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
          I guess we're agreed then.