Re: [mythsoc] The Amy Player Saga

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
      Wendell:

         If you're interested, there's a book about the 'Amy Player' episode by Jeanine Renne, published in 2004. I could loan you a copy, but be warned: it's not worth reading.

         My take-away from it is that self-promoters are attracted to the latest New Thing. It's significant that Player, after burning bridges with Jackson film fandom, drifted into Harry Potter cosplay; if those events were happening today she'd no doubt be involved in Twilight fandom.

      On Sep 12, 2011, at 7:11 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:
      Have people heard about this?:

      This is a thread about some weird goings-on in what is supposedly Tolkien fandom (which apparently really means Peter Jackson movie fandom).

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
        Let me make this clear.  I wasn't claiming that Amy Player was representative of anything.  I wasn't claiming that this was a deeply significant story.  I was posting a link to this story because 1) I'm a Tolkien fan and 2) you're all Tolkien fans, and 3) therefore it's kind of an interesting story (in my opinion).  I find that I have a lot of trouble when I make this kind of point.  People think that I'm making a judgment on what has happened when I'm doing no such thing.  If I want to say that I think something is terrible, I would say so.  If I want to say that I think something is great, I would say so.

        Wendell

        In a message dated 9/12/2011 12:26:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, darrellm@... writes:
        Every "in" group has its embarrassments. Amy Player (whatever else h/s/i
        may be) is no more representative of Tolkien fandom than the Norwegian
        murderer of young political liberals is representative of European
        isolationists. We are simply looking at a bent hnau. There is no more
        deep significance to Amy Player, and possibly less, than the woman who
        showed up for jury selection wearing a Starfleet uniform.

      • Darrell A. Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
          On 9/12/2011 8:43 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:

          > Let me make this clear. I wasn't claiming that Amy Player was
          > representative of anything. I wasn't claiming that this was a deeply
          > significant story. I was posting a link to this story because 1) I'm a
          > Tolkien fan and 2) you're all Tolkien fans, and 3) therefore it's kind
          > of an interesting story (in my opinion). I find that I have a lot of
          > trouble when I make this kind of point. People think that I'm making a
          > judgment on what has happened when I'm doing no such thing. If I want to
          > say that I think something is terrible, I would say so. If I want to say
          > that I think something is great, I would say so.
          > Wendell

          Wendell:

          For my part, my comment was just that; my comment. If I had wanted to
          say you were making a judgment, and that I disagreed with it, I would
          have said so.

          Darrell
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
            I guess we're agreed then.