The Amy Player Saga

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
      Have people heard about this?:

      This is a thread about some weird goings-on in what is supposedly Tolkien fandom (which apparently really means Peter Jackson movie fandom).

      Wendell Wagner
    • Darrell A. Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
        On 9/12/2011 9:11 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

        > Have people heard about this?:
        > http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=623931
        > This is a thread about some weird goings-on in what is supposedly
        > Tolkien fandom (which apparently really means Peter Jackson movie fandom).
        > Wendell Wagner

        Wendell:

        Every "in" group has its embarrassments. Amy Player (whatever else h/s/i
        may be) is no more representative of Tolkien fandom than the Norwegian
        murderer of young political liberals is representative of European
        isolationists. We are simply looking at a bent hnau. There is no more
        deep significance to Amy Player, and possibly less, than the woman who
        showed up for jury selection wearing a Starfleet uniform.

        Darrell
      • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
          My friend, comic book artist Colleen Doran, has had some run-ins with the
          person-who-used-to-be-called-Amy-Player (in addition to name changing,
          there's the gender switching), mainly because Colleen has done some
          licensed art connected with the films (she's an avid Tolkien reader, by
          the way). And yeah, the circles affected by The Person are primarily those
          who came to Tolkien by way of the films. But in every report, it becomes
          clear that The Person is just out for The Self, and is quite ready to run
          any sort of scam.

          I don't think The Person is even particularly interested in Things Tolkien
          in and of themselves. The Person wanted to latch onto celebrities, period.

          (By the way, I would not usually talk of a transgendered person this way;
          I prefer to use the person's pronoun of choice. But
          That-Which-Was-Amy-Player has pulled so many variable scams I treat all
          references to The Person as one or the other as dubious. (But definitely,
          started out as a woman.)

          But yeah, The Person hasn't really ventured into the literary end of the
          Tolkien fandom, so far as I know. Just the (movie) convention circuit.

          > On 9/12/2011 9:11 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:
          >>
          >> Have people heard about this?:
          >> http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=623931
          >> This is a thread about some weird goings-on in what is supposedly
          >> Tolkien fandom (which apparently really means Peter Jackson movie
          >> fandom).
          >> Wendell Wagner
          >
          > Wendell:
          >
          > Every "in" group has its embarrassments. Amy Player (whatever else h/s/i
          > may be) is no more representative of Tolkien fandom than the Norwegian
          > murderer of young political liberals is representative of European
          > isolationists. We are simply looking at a bent hnau. There is no more
          > deep significance to Amy Player, and possibly less, than the woman who
          > showed up for jury selection wearing a Starfleet uniform.
          >
          > Darrell

        • John Rateliff
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
            Wendell:

               If you're interested, there's a book about the 'Amy Player' episode by Jeanine Renne, published in 2004. I could loan you a copy, but be warned: it's not worth reading.

               My take-away from it is that self-promoters are attracted to the latest New Thing. It's significant that Player, after burning bridges with Jackson film fandom, drifted into Harry Potter cosplay; if those events were happening today she'd no doubt be involved in Twilight fandom.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
                On 9/12/2011 8:43 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:

                > Let me make this clear. I wasn't claiming that Amy Player was
                > representative of anything. I wasn't claiming that this was a deeply
                > significant story. I was posting a link to this story because 1) I'm a
                > Tolkien fan and 2) you're all Tolkien fans, and 3) therefore it's kind
                > of an interesting story (in my opinion). I find that I have a lot of
                > trouble when I make this kind of point. People think that I'm making a
                > judgment on what has happened when I'm doing no such thing. If I want to
                > say that I think something is terrible, I would say so. If I want to say
                > that I think something is great, I would say so.
                > Wendell

                Wendell:

                For my part, my comment was just that; my comment. If I had wanted to
                say you were making a judgment, and that I disagreed with it, I would
                have said so.

                Darrell
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
                  I guess we're agreed then.