RE: [mythsoc] flyers for early Mythopoeic events

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011

      Nifty! You might also send things like this directly to Lynn Maudlin, Steward for Mythcons, who can then add them to the Mythcon Wiki. This Wiki serves as a historical repository for information on past Mythcons and a source of information about how we do things for Mythcon committees.

      And do you happen to have the program book for Mythcon III in your scrapbook? I’ve been trying to find a copy, but we no longer have any in our warehouse!

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
        While we're at it, I'm looking for the program books (or any other memorabilia) from Mythcons V, VI, and IX, which I didn't get to, and for the Tolkien 2005 event, which I did go to but the material I got there disappeared before I got home.  Other Inklings-related material I'm looking for are Amon Hen, issues 1-38, 41, and 43; Mallorn, issues 1-12; Parma Eldalamberon, issues 10, 14-16, and 18; and The Lewis Legacy, issue 28.  All this is just in case that, oh, I don't know, someone decides that they are less obsessive than me at collecting and wants more space.

        Wendell Wagner

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 9, 2011
          I would be totally delighted to find a program book - or any memorabilia at all - from Mythcon VII in Sacramento, CA.  I ran that convention, but seem to have zero photos or anything else.
          Mem Morman

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2012
            One thing I had furtively been hoping for in The Hobbit movie was to see
            if Mr. Jackson included all those instruments in the Unexpected Party.
            He didn't, of course, and, on reflection, I think I'm glad he didn't.
            Although, as a youngling, I was rather taken by the image of clarinets
            in the umbrella stand, on mature reflection I don't really think the
            instruments (no saxaphone, just two clarinets, two small viols, two
            pipes, two viols "nearly as big as themselves", and a harp) really don't
            have a place in a band of traveling dwarves. I can see that the image
            of that party, instruments and all, was important to Tolkien - part of
            his visualization of the scene - but, in retrospect, the whole idea is
            pretty silly. It was very nice, however, to hear the dwarves singing
            about going "far over misty mountains cold" and also to enjoy the
            adaptation of "chip the bowls and crack the plates".
            Mem
          • not_thou
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2012
              Don't forget Bombur's drum! And there were not two but three flutes (which you call pipes), played by Dori, Nori, and Ori.

              Do any musical settings of "Far over the misty mountains" actually use Tolkien's specified instrumentation?

              ---Mem Morman <mem@...> wrote:
              > [...] on mature reflection I don't really think the
              > instruments (no saxophone; just two clarinets, two
              > small viols, two pipes, two viols "nearly as big as
              > themselves", and a harp) really don't have a place in
              > a band of traveling dwarves. [...]
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2012

                I have to say I rarely remember movie music after just one hearing, but the tune for this one has stuck with me.

                Janet