Re: [mythsoc] Created Languages

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
      WendellWag@... wrote:

      >Most
      >creators of invented languages don't actually know much about linguistics and
      >don't understand just how different from the language (or languages) they
      >grew up with some languages can be. They thus produce languages that
      >aren't really that different from their own. This is why most invented
      >languages go nowhere beyond the self-published book that the inventor puts out
      >about how wonderful the new language is.

      Wait a minute. I think you're confusing two different purposes of invented languages here. The self-published ones that proclaim their wonderfulness are intended as practical universal languages, such as Esperanto. In these, similarity to existing languages and ease of use is a virtue, as the purpose is to create a common mode of communication that's privileged to none.

      It's literary languages, such as Tolkien's, where aesthetic virtues are paramount and striking differences from common languages are sought, and most inventors of full-scale literary languages are well-versed in these linguistic matters. The inventor of Klingon deliberately sought out the most exotic, from an English-speaker's point of view, characteristics from a wide variety of languages and put them all in one package for the most alien effect he could get.

      Literary languages in turn are not to be confused with the efforts of authors who make up a few words to sprinkle through their novels for the effect of an invented language that has no further body. Some of these authors have a talent for well-wrought names (Dunsany is a master in this respect), but many are very weak.
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
        FWIW, most public libraries have access to one of those three databases for free for library patrons. So you can always check to see if they're available through your library before paying amazon as well.

        -Alana

        On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

        That’s exactly it. I don’t think we get many sales that way – Lisa would know – but it’s part of our agreement with Gale that they can sell copies of articles through Amazon and other vendors and we get our cut. This is spelled out in Mythlore’s contract with its authors, or at least it has been since I became editor.

        Mythlore currently has agreements with Gale, Ebsco, and ProQuest and appears in several of their library subscription databases and their subcontracted products (2002 on in Gale’s Expanded Academic ASAP, 2006 on in ProQuest’s Literature Online, and I forget what it is in EBSCO – probably 2002.). ProQuest has a new product for individual consumers which will be out this fall, and we’ve been invited to join but have not decided yet. We have not been invited by JSTOR or Project MUSE yet, but I’m hopeful. We continue to look at ways to offer Mythlore electronically, but in the meantime, you can always contact me directly if you need a scan of an article for scholarly purposes – don’t pay that ridiculous Amazon price!

        These companies have been very good about contacting us when they get other requested uses of our articles, like reprinting them in an critical anthology. In those cases I pass the decision on to the author.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries