interesting take on harry potter

  • Donander Evre
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
      Ran across this

      http://news.excite.com/news/uw/000831/entertainment-arts-93

      which made me sigh with relief that someone else had
      read the same Harry Potter books that i had. Would be
      intersted to know what other people think --

      Nin

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Melinda Jane Harrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        Nin:

        Since you posted this and it also gives a little tidbit by King and I feel
        I won't be condemned,
        I have to admit I am one of those people who did not buy all the Harry
        Potter books, and well, after reading the first, I felt it was okay, but
        not GREAT. <g> I never really tell people this, but I don't much like her
        style either. Her prose is not great, and my youngest son did not go
        bananas over it. However this may be because my son reads Call of the Wild,
        Robinson Crusoe, and all the other classics. He also liked the series that
        Edit Nesbit wrote much better, and he liked the fairty tales of Oscar Wilde
        even though he didn't get all of the symbolism. Alexander Lloyd is a
        favorite. But he went through Narnia in the 3 or 4th grade and all those
        others by the 6th. They say Harry Potter is for 10 and up now. Well, my
        youngest son just finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, so I don't think he
        considers Harry Potter dark or something.

        I know I will probably end up collecting all of them, as I collect many
        books, but I will wait for trade paper for all or get them in the SF Club
        or something.

        I was must more impressed with the NEW translation of The Little Prince.

        And what I consider a classic is what I loved as a child and still
        love...like Narnia or The Melendy Family series by Elizabeth Enright. I
        love those novels. Talk about great writing, I mean dialogue and style and
        all.

        Of course, I think it's great that Harry Potter made it. But I hate all
        the hype. I hate they are making toys and doing the movie bit. But I do
        believe a lot of this is our popular culture and how we respond to
        bestsellers, etc.

        All this said and done, my sister, who is 16 years older than old me just
        LOVES Harry. <G>

        Jane