Re: [mythsoc] Created Languages

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
      Hugh

      I am in the middle of reading a great book - Yaquello M (1991) Lunatic Lovers of Language. London: Athalone Press

      There is also Arika Orient's recent book on art languages - In the Land of Invented Languages has a good overview

      Eco's Search for a Perfect Language is also very good

      Thanks Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Twitter
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

      On 25 Aug 2011, at 01:35, hughhdavis@... wrote:

      Can members of this list recommend good sources for research into the creation of fictional languages? I am thinking in terms of the creation of Elvish by Tolkien as well as more recent pop cultural "efforts," such as Marc Okrand's work with Klingon, as well as the alien languages of Star Wars and Avatar.

      Thank you,
      Hugh Davis

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
        In a message dated 8/25/2011 4:45:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, asthiggins@... writes:
        There is also Arika Orient's recent book on art languages - In the Land of Invented Languages has a good overview

        It's Arika Okrent.  Do you have some sort of automatic spelling-corrector in your iPad?

        I'm not sure any of the books mentioned teach anything useful about how to create invented languages.  They have lots of personal stories about the inventors of the languages and about the history of the creation of the languages, but they don't go into any real detail about how to invent them.  I don't think that there's anywhere to learn about this except from standard textbooks on linguistics.  You can learn there about the diversity of forms of languages, all the ways that languages differ in phonology, in syntax, in morphology, in semantics, etc.  Most creators of invented languages don't actually know much about linguistics and don't understand just how different from the language (or languages) they grew up with some languages can be.  They thus produce languages that aren't really that different from their own.  This is why most invented languages go nowhere beyond the self-published book that the inventor puts out about how wonderful the new language is.

        Wendell Wagner

      • Andrew Higgins
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
          Wendell

          Mea IPad Culpa.

          Pace Arika Okrent

          so perhaps we have identified "a gap in the Market".

          There is this interesting website which I have not explored enough
          http://www.zompist.com/kit.html

        • davise@cs.nyu.edu
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:

            > There is this interesting website which I have not explored enough
            > http://www.zompist.com/kit.html

            Yes, the associated book "The Language Construction Kit" by Marc Rosenfelder got a favorable review from, IIRC, Harley Sims in Mythlore a while back. He certainly wrote an unfavorable review of Okrent's book in Mythlore, in Nov. 2010. (I myself liked Okrent's book a lot.)

            BTW, I was surprised to find that Amazon sells Mythlore articles for download at $10.00 a pop.
            http://www.amazon.com/Land-Invented-Languages-Esperanto-Language/dp/B004EHVYEG

            Considering that you can buy an individual issue from mythsoc for $15 and a yearly subscription for $33 ($25 for mythsoc members), that seems ridiculously overpriced. Is there any possibility of making past issues of Mythlore available online on the mythsoc site or getting them onto JSTOR?

            -- Ernie
          • Mem Morman

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:
                > There is also a new book on the horizon which looks intriguing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvish-Klingon-Exploring-Invented-Languages/dp/0192807099/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314261758&sr=1-10

                There are actually two forthcoming books with regrettably similar titles. This one that Andrew links to, "From Elvish to Klingon: Exploring Invented Languages" ed. Michael Adams, is being released in
                the UK in October and in the US in November (if you're in US and don't want to pay shipping costs from UK). It has essays on (1) international languages e.g. Esperanto; (2) Newspeak and Nadsat; (3) invented languages in Joyce and Beckett; (4) Tolkien's invented languages, by Edmund Weiner; (5) Klingon and other sci fi languages, by Marc Okrand and others; (6) Logical languages; (7) Gaming languages; (8) Revitalized languages such as the Celtic languages. (BTW, the description of this on amazon.co.uk --- the link Andrew posted --- is much better than the description on amazon.com.)

                The other book is
                http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Made-Up-Languages-Invented-Lexicons/dp/1440528179/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314280192&sr=8-1
                The Dictionary of Made-Up Languages: From Elvish to Klingon, The Anwa, Reella, Ealray, Yeht (Real) Origins of Invented Lexicons
                by Stephen Rogers, pub date Nov. 15. Here's the description on
                amazon:

                "taH pagh, taH be!" ("To be or not to be..." in Klingon). "Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo." ("A star shines upon the hour of our meeting," the standard Elvish greeting). "Ne dankinde." ("You're welcome," in Esperanto). Language buffs will love this one-of-a-kind dictionary of imaginary tongues. From the nineteenth century grammarian's Anglic (with its perfectly simple syntax) to Tolkien's fantastical Elvish (with its vaguely Finnish undertones), this intriguing collection of the most popular made-up lexicons offers endless hours of fun for word lovers everywhere. Readers can master the exotic enunciations of "Avatar's Na'vi aliens" in one sitting - and take on the intricate phrasings of Vulcan, Venusian, and Volapuk in the next (just to name the Vs). This comprehensive volume also includes pronunciation and punctuation guides, as well as must-know conversational terms for every language. With thousands of words in more than 100 languages pulled from history, literature, and pop culture, "The Dictionary of Made-Up Languages" is the perfect lexicographical companion for ordway overslays (word lovers in Pig Latin) everywhere!

                Looks pretty feeble, but might have some interesting information that would be hard to find elsewhere.

                -- Ernie
              • Scott Hubbard
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                  I agree. You can tell that on Star Wars, for example, the "alien" languages are really just English with different words. The pauses, syntactical appearance of proper nouns, and emphases give this away without having to know what the made-up words themselves are. Korean is much more different than these languages from another galaxy.

                  De : "WendellWag@..." <WendellWag@...>
                  À : mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                  Envoyé le : Jeudi 25 Août 2011 5h54
                  Objet : Re: [mythsoc] Created Languages

                • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                    Whoa! What?????

                    Excuse me, but I hope to God that is approved by the authors, because it
                    is part of ML agreements that after the publication in ML, ALL RIGHTS
                    REVERT TO THE AUTHORS, and if ML articles are being sold on Amazon without
                    their permissions IT IS COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!! (Not to say a matter of
                    cheating authors out of money!)

                    For TEN DOLLARS????

                    Sarah

                    > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> There is this interesting website which I have not explored enough
                    >> http://www.zompist.com/kit.html
                    >
                    > Yes, the associated book "The Language Construction Kit" by Marc
                    > Rosenfelder got a favorable review from, IIRC, Harley Sims in Mythlore a
                    > while back. He certainly wrote an unfavorable review of Okrent's book in
                    > Mythlore, in Nov. 2010. (I myself liked Okrent's book a lot.)
                    >
                    > BTW, I was surprised to find that Amazon sells Mythlore articles for
                    > download at $10.00 a pop.
                    > http://www.amazon.com/Land-Invented-Languages-Esperanto-Language/dp/B004EHVYEG
                    >
                    > Considering that you can buy an individual issue from mythsoc for $15 and
                    > a yearly subscription for $33 ($25 for mythsoc members), that seems
                    > ridiculously overpriced. Is there any possibility of making past issues of
                    > Mythlore available online on the mythsoc site or getting them onto JSTOR?
                    >
                    > -- Ernie

                  • Alana Joli Abbott
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                      Amazon does this for a bunch of stuff available from Gale products, also -- basically, if it's available through Gale's Power Search or Highbeam Research, it can end up at Amazon for that per article price. Most of the reference books like Contemporary Authors are up for that same rate, too.

                      If Mythlore gets syndicated through any of those digital databases, that's probably how Amazon's getting the license.

                      -Alana

                      Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

                    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                        I checked out the Amazon link after I reacted. It SAYS reprinted by
                        permission - so I'm going to assume that it was Harley himself that put it
                        up there.

                        But still.... $10.00 for a 5 page paper? Wow.

                        (And here I am, posting on my own website, pieces of my non-Tolkien
                        scholarship for free!)

                        Sarah

                        > Whoa! What?????
                        >
                        > Excuse me, but I hope to God that is approved by the authors, because it
                        > is part of ML agreements that after the publication in ML, ALL RIGHTS
                        > REVERT TO THE AUTHORS, and if ML articles are being sold on Amazon without
                        > their permissions IT IS COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!! (Not to say a matter of
                        > cheating authors out of money!)
                        >
                        > For TEN DOLLARS????
                        >
                        > Sarah
                        >

                        >> --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>> There is this interesting website which I have not explored enough
                        >>> http://www.zompist.com/kit.html
                        >>
                        >> Yes, the associated book "The Language Construction Kit" by Marc
                        >> Rosenfelder got a favorable review from, IIRC, Harley Sims in Mythlore a
                        >> while back. He certainly wrote an unfavorable review of Okrent's book in
                        >> Mythlore, in Nov. 2010. (I myself liked Okrent's book a lot.)
                        >>
                        >> BTW, I was surprised to find that Amazon sells Mythlore articles for
                        >> download at $10.00 a pop.
                        >> http://www.amazon.com/Land-Invented-Languages-Esperanto-Language/dp/B004EHVYEG
                        >>
                        >> Considering that you can buy an individual issue from mythsoc for $15
                        >> and
                        >> a yearly subscription for $33 ($25 for mythsoc members), that seems
                        >> ridiculously overpriced. Is there any possibility of making past issues
                        >> of
                        >> Mythlore available online on the mythsoc site or getting them onto
                        >> JSTOR?
                        >>
                        >> -- Ernie

                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011

                          That’s exactly it. I don’t think we get many sales that way – Lisa would know – but it’s part of our agreement with Gale that they can sell copies of articles through Amazon and other vendors and we get our cut. This is spelled out in Mythlore’s contract with its authors, or at least it has been since I became editor.

                          Mythlore currently has agreements with Gale, Ebsco, and ProQuest and appears in several of their library subscription databases and their subcontracted products (2002 on in Gale’s Expanded Academic ASAP, 2006 on in ProQuest’s Literature Online, and I forget what it is in EBSCO – probably 2002.). ProQuest has a new product for individual consumers which will be out this fall, and we’ve been invited to join but have not decided yet. We have not been invited by JSTOR or Project MUSE yet, but I’m hopeful. We continue to look at ways to offer Mythlore electronically, but in the meantime, you can always contact me directly if you need a scan of an article for scholarly purposes – don’t pay that ridiculous Amazon price!

                          These companies have been very good about contacting us when they get other requested uses of our articles, like reprinting them in an critical anthology. In those cases I pass the decision on to the author.

                          Janet Brennan Croft

                          Associate Professor
                          Head of Access Services
                          University of Oklahoma Libraries
                          Bizzell 104NW
                          Norman OK 73019
                          405-325-1918
                          Fax 405-325-7618
                          jbcroft@...
                          http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/CurriculumVitae
                          http://libraries.ou.edu/
                          Editor of Mythlore
                          http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                            WendellWag@... wrote:

                            >Most
                            >creators of invented languages don't actually know much about linguistics and
                            >don't understand just how different from the language (or languages) they
                            >grew up with some languages can be. They thus produce languages that
                            >aren't really that different from their own. This is why most invented
                            >languages go nowhere beyond the self-published book that the inventor puts out
                            >about how wonderful the new language is.

                            Wait a minute. I think you're confusing two different purposes of invented languages here. The self-published ones that proclaim their wonderfulness are intended as practical universal languages, such as Esperanto. In these, similarity to existing languages and ease of use is a virtue, as the purpose is to create a common mode of communication that's privileged to none.

                            It's literary languages, such as Tolkien's, where aesthetic virtues are paramount and striking differences from common languages are sought, and most inventors of full-scale literary languages are well-versed in these linguistic matters. The inventor of Klingon deliberately sought out the most exotic, from an English-speaker's point of view, characteristics from a wide variety of languages and put them all in one package for the most alien effect he could get.

                            Literary languages in turn are not to be confused with the efforts of authors who make up a few words to sprinkle through their novels for the effect of an invented language that has no further body. Some of these authors have a talent for well-wrought names (Dunsany is a master in this respect), but many are very weak.
                          • Alana Joli Abbott