Re: [mythsoc] New Books Available for Review for Mythprint

  • James Jones
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
      Good evening,

      How do you qualify to review a book for Mythprint?  As I have some background in steampunk and cyberpunk I'd like to give a stab at The Difference Engine.

      James Jones

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 18, 2011
        I review your collection if you wanna send one to Texas instead of Denmark!
      • Anthony_Jessica
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2011
          Jason,
          I need some good reads outside editing contributions to our Gaiman collection (Kitsune 2012)

          If you would like we would be willing to review our publisher's own Inn at Corbie Caww (unsure of it would be a "conflict of interest" so to speak, since Kitsune is our publisher and the cover artist is not only a friend of ours, but the same artist doing the cover for our Gaiman collection. Just want to be honest here, we are interested in Verlyn's work, let us know what you think.

          Aside from that we'd be will to review your book Tolkien and the Study of His Sources: Critical Essays.

          Let me know your thoughts, also I sent you a facebook message regarding our Gaiman collection.

          Cheers,
          Anthony (& Jessica)

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, James Jones <Viator1@...> wrote:

          > Good evening,
          >
          > How do you qualify to review a book for Mythprint?  As I have some background in steampunk and cyberpunk I'd like to give a stab at The Difference Engine.
          >
          > James Jones
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Mem Morman
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2011
            I found a flyer for an early Bilbo and Frodo's birthday party and
            another for Mythcon I. I scanned them and posted them to the Mythopoeic
            Society page on Facebook.

            These were with my scrapbook from Mythcon II at the Francisco Torres
            dorm in Santa Barbara. I'm in the process of scanning all those photos
            to post as well. Or is there somewhere else/better to post the photos?
            There's half a dozen or so of Glen and Bonnie's wedding and the same
            number of the masque that was done of The Greater Trumps. Also some
            from the masquerade and of Glen and Mary McDermott Scheidler.

            Mem
          • James Curcio
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2011
              By way of introduction to this list, I wanted to pass along the press release for a book that I've just had published by Weaponized (an imprint in the UK) called The Immanence of Myth.

              I believe a member of this group is going to be doing a review at some point.

              ---

              For Immediate Release: London, 12th of September 2011

              Weaponized is proud to announce the publication of ‘The Immanence of Myth’, an anthology arranged by James Curcio of Mythos Media. This anthology includes conversations, art and articles with those in the creative process, from up-and-comers and long-time underground myth-makers to celebrated artists such as Laurie Lipton and David Mack.

              It is available in print now through major retailers, and will be available in Kindle and other eBook formats autumn 2011. The Immanence of Myth will be core curriculum in ‘The Apocalyptic Imaginary,” a 200 level comp lit course at Binghamton university, the first in what will hopefully be many classes to explore the interdisciplinary approach outlined within its pages.
              http://binghamton.academia.edu/RowanTepper/Teaching/25328/COLI_211B_-The_Apocalyptic_Imaginary_-_Syllabus_Fall_2011

              About ‘The Immanence of Myth’:
              Thinkers such as Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung, Mircea Eliade, Karl Kerenyi, and many others have helped to popularize an awareness of the psychological significance of archaic myth inside, as well as outside, the ivory tower of academia. However, the vast majority of their work has been focused on understanding and legitimizing the myths of the past.

              The Immanence of Myth uses a deep but also conversational, honest and even subversive approach towards looking at the issue of mythology in our lives today, especially as the book moves towards personal mythology and conversations with current mythic artists.

              More about ‘The Immanence of Myth’ http://iom.weaponized.net

              Nearly half of this book was written by James Curcio, a writer and artist with extensive independent media experience. Since getting involved in media production as co-founder of Evolving Media in 2000—the first in many media/arts collectives he helped organize—he has built engaging narratives, utilizing the mediums best suited to the task.

              He says, “I am excited to be building a platform for the exploration of the subject of mythology in a modern light, both through the release of this book and the website modernmythology.net, and believe that Weaponized is the perfect partner to bring this to fruition. I hope that this continues to be a springboard for the much-needed discussion of the role that myth plays in all our lives, as well as the creation of new media which builds upon this knowledge.”

              John Harrigan of Weaponized says “One of the key reasons FoolishPeople founded the Weaponized imprint was to ensure that important works such as ‘The Immanence of Myth’ are published and made widely available. Now more than ever the subject of Myth is of vital importance to the very nature of humanity and we’re proud to publish this book.”

              About Weaponized:

              Weaponized publishes experimental forms of fiction, prose and art that offer new ways to experience stories and myth. They are passionately committed to finding unique narrative hybrids that challenge, engage, inform and inspire readers.

              The imprint was founded by FoolishPeople, FoolishPeople create film, theatre, music and books and curate and engineer immersive experiences that have the power to raise the numinous within the spectator. FoolishPeople are currently shooting’Strange Factories’ in Prague, a ground breaking immersive film that will be toured and presented within an immersive theatre event created by FoolishPeople that explores the early history of cinema and film via the touring traditions of Phantasmagoria and theatric arcana.

              Since its launch in August 2010 Weaponized has published FoolishPeople scripts ‘Cirxus’ and ‘Dead Language’ by John Harrigan, ‘The Sparky Show’ by Xanadu Xero and ‘Forum’ by Richard Webb and‘Citizen Y’ written by John Harrigan and James Curcio in April.

              www.weaponized.net

              PRESS CONTACT
              For further information please email
              press@...

              "Nothing on the face of this earth—and I do mean nothing—is half so dangerous as a children’s story that happens to be real, and you and I are wandering blindfolded through a myth devised by a maniac."
              — Master Li Kao (T’ang Dynasty)
              Cell: 484-319-7323

              Check out The IMMANENCE OF MYTH published by Weaponized August 2011 http://www.amazon.com/Immanence-Myth-James-Curcio/dp/1907810080

              On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Mem Morman <mem@...> wrote:

              I found a flyer for an early Bilbo and Frodo's birthday party and
              another for Mythcon I. I scanned them and posted them to the Mythopoeic
              Society page on Facebook.

              These were with my scrapbook from Mythcon II at the Francisco Torres
              dorm in Santa Barbara. I'm in the process of scanning all those photos
              to post as well. Or is there somewhere else/better to post the photos?
              There's half a dozen or so of Glen and Bonnie's wedding and the same
              number of the masque that was done of The Greater Trumps. Also some
              from the masquerade and of Glen and Mary McDermott Scheidler.

              Mem

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011

                Nifty! You might also send things like this directly to Lynn Maudlin, Steward for Mythcons, who can then add them to the Mythcon Wiki. This Wiki serves as a historical repository for information on past Mythcons and a source of information about how we do things for Mythcon committees.

                And do you happen to have the program book for Mythcon III in your scrapbook? I’ve been trying to find a copy, but we no longer have any in our warehouse!

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
                  While we're at it, I'm looking for the program books (or any other memorabilia) from Mythcons V, VI, and IX, which I didn't get to, and for the Tolkien 2005 event, which I did go to but the material I got there disappeared before I got home.  Other Inklings-related material I'm looking for are Amon Hen, issues 1-38, 41, and 43; Mallorn, issues 1-12; Parma Eldalamberon, issues 10, 14-16, and 18; and The Lewis Legacy, issue 28.  All this is just in case that, oh, I don't know, someone decides that they are less obsessive than me at collecting and wants more space.

                  Wendell Wagner

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9, 2011
                    I would be totally delighted to find a program book - or any memorabilia at all - from Mythcon VII in Sacramento, CA.  I ran that convention, but seem to have zero photos or anything else.
                    Mem Morman

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2012
                      One thing I had furtively been hoping for in The Hobbit movie was to see
                      if Mr. Jackson included all those instruments in the Unexpected Party.
                      He didn't, of course, and, on reflection, I think I'm glad he didn't.
                      Although, as a youngling, I was rather taken by the image of clarinets
                      in the umbrella stand, on mature reflection I don't really think the
                      instruments (no saxaphone, just two clarinets, two small viols, two
                      pipes, two viols "nearly as big as themselves", and a harp) really don't
                      have a place in a band of traveling dwarves. I can see that the image
                      of that party, instruments and all, was important to Tolkien - part of
                      his visualization of the scene - but, in retrospect, the whole idea is
                      pretty silly. It was very nice, however, to hear the dwarves singing
                      about going "far over misty mountains cold" and also to enjoy the
                      adaptation of "chip the bowls and crack the plates".
                      Mem
                    • not_thou
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2012
                        Don't forget Bombur's drum! And there were not two but three flutes (which you call pipes), played by Dori, Nori, and Ori.

                        Do any musical settings of "Far over the misty mountains" actually use Tolkien's specified instrumentation?

                        ---Mem Morman <mem@...> wrote:
                        > [...] on mature reflection I don't really think the
                        > instruments (no saxophone; just two clarinets, two
                        > small viols, two pipes, two viols "nearly as big as
                        > themselves", and a harp) really don't have a place in
                        > a band of traveling dwarves. [...]
                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2012

                          I have to say I rarely remember movie music after just one hearing, but the tune for this one has stuck with me.

                          Janet