Re: [mythsoc] Oh dear... Hillard's Mirkwood.... Movie?

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2011
      Thank you, Wendell, but now you have put yourself in grave danger.  If someone knocks at the door claiming to be Lynn Maudlin, do not answer it.

      Mike

      Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:58 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Oh dear... Hillard's Mirkwood.... Movie?

      On 8/16/2011 1:09 AM, mailto:WendellWag%40aol.com wrote:

      > Of course, Tolkien abandoned his plans to be a
      codebreaker and instead
      > became a master spy, working directly for Rear
      Admiral John Henry
      > Godfrey, the Director of Naval Intelligence for the
      British in World War
      > II. Godfrey took the knowledge of Tolkien's work
      for him to the grave.
      > His personal assistant, Ian Fleming, decided that
      he couldn't reveal the
      > story of what Tolkien did in a direct way, so he
      transformed him into
      > the character of James Bond in fiction. It should
      have been obvious from
      > the name itself. He took Tolkien's name, John
      Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and
      > dropped the first two names. As is well known,
      "Reuel" means "James" in
      > Etruscan and "Tolkien" means "Bond" in
      Sumerian. Furthermore, "007" is a
      > reference to the seven rings given to
      the dwarfs, the seven stars, and
      > the seven stones. The resemblances
      between the exploits of James Bond
      > and those of various characters in
      /The Lord of the Rings/ (which
      > Tolkien used to fictionalize his
      adventures in World War II) should be
      > clear.
      > Wendell
      Wagner

      Wendell:

      It became blindingly obvious, once you explained it. Thank you.

      Darrell

    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 16, 2011
        Wow. I think my brain just tried to escape out my ears. Quite the tour-de-force, Wendell
           --JDR

        On Aug 15, 2011, at 11:09 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
[...]

        In a message dated 8/15/2011 1:16:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dougkane@... writes:
        “The adaptation of Mirkwood will follow
        the template of the novel,” said Hillard, “but will delve considerably
        deeper into Tolkien’s little-known back story, such as his original
        plans to become a codebreaker in World War II up through the writing
        of his enduring works.”