Re: [mythsoc] Review of CSL's translation of the Aeneid

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2011
      I think we used the Fagles translation of the Odyssey when I studied it in college, and I recall liking his style. I'll have to see what my local library has easily available. :)

      -Alana

      On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Larry Swain <theswain@...> wrote:

      I too recommend the Mandelbaum; it's a good read.  Also, you might try the Fagles translation from Penguin which is also enjoyable and accessible.
      --
      Larry Swain

      On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:35 -0700, scribbler@... wrote:

      I haven't studied Homer in the Greek (although I do have The Odyssey in
      the Greek/English edition). But he is a more vivid storyteller than
      Virgil. Virgil I HAVE studied in the Latin -- he is more formal in his
      storytelling, and ... well, more Roman (order is more important, and has a
      more Stoic sensibility) than Homer.

      As for good translations of Virgil, I'd recommend Mandelbaum's verse
      translation. It won the National Book Award, and is more accessible.

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks