Re: [mythsoc] Oh dear... Hillard's Mirkwood.... Movie?

  • Michael Cunningham
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
      Too true! I  do get the feeling though that at the moment 'Hollywood' will option any potential fantasy genre type script given the conclusion of the Potter films, the success of Game of Thrones and what with two new Jackson interpretations in the pipeline, maybe some in the studios feel the time is ripe to keep milking the cash cow? Indeed, one aspect of Hillard's book I noted was that it read, in parts, like an effort to create a screenplay.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
        I wonder, could this movie be another "Shadowlands" with "Bridge to Terabithia" thrown in?

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
          Of course, Tolkien abandoned his plans to be a codebreaker and instead became a master spy, working directly for Rear Admiral John Henry Godfrey, the Director of Naval Intelligence for the British in World War II.  Godfrey took the knowledge of Tolkien's work for him to the grave.  His personal assistant, Ian Fleming, decided that he couldn't reveal the story of what Tolkien did in a direct way, so he transformed him into the character of James Bond in fiction.  It should have been obvious from the name itself.  He took Tolkien's name, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and dropped the first two names.  As is well known, "Reuel" means "James" in Etruscan and "Tolkien" means "Bond" in Sumerian.  Furthermore, "007" is a reference to the seven rings given to the dwarfs, the seven stars, and the seven stones.  The resemblances between the exploits of James Bond and those of various characters in The Lord of the Rings (which Tolkien used to fictionalize his adventures in World War II) should be clear.

          Wendell Wagner

          In a message dated 8/15/2011 1:16:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dougkane@... writes:
          “The adaptation of Mirkwood will follow
          the template of the novel,” said Hillard, “but will delve considerably
          deeper into Tolkien’s little-known back story, such as his original
          plans to become a codebreaker in World War II up through the writing
          of his enduring works.”
        • Darrell A. Martin
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 16, 2011
            On 8/16/2011 1:09 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

            > Of course, Tolkien abandoned his plans to be a codebreaker and instead
            > became a master spy, working directly for Rear Admiral John Henry
            > Godfrey, the Director of Naval Intelligence for the British in World War
            > II. Godfrey took the knowledge of Tolkien's work for him to the grave.
            > His personal assistant, Ian Fleming, decided that he couldn't reveal the
            > story of what Tolkien did in a direct way, so he transformed him into
            > the character of James Bond in fiction. It should have been obvious from
            > the name itself. He took Tolkien's name, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and
            > dropped the first two names. As is well known, "Reuel" means "James" in
            > Etruscan and "Tolkien" means "Bond" in Sumerian. Furthermore, "007" is a
            > reference to the seven rings given to the dwarfs, the seven stars, and
            > the seven stones. The resemblances between the exploits of James Bond
            > and those of various characters in /The Lord of the Rings/ (which
            > Tolkien used to fictionalize his adventures in World War II) should be
            > clear.
            > Wendell Wagner

            Wendell:

            It became blindingly obvious, once you explained it. Thank you.

            Darrell
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 16, 2011
              Thank you, Wendell, but now you have put yourself in grave danger.  If someone knocks at the door claiming to be Lynn Maudlin, do not answer it.

              Mike

              Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:58 AM

              On 8/16/2011 1:09 AM, mailto:WendellWag%40aol.com wrote:

              > Of course, Tolkien abandoned his plans to be a
              codebreaker and instead
              > became a master spy, working directly for Rear
              Admiral John Henry
              > Godfrey, the Director of Naval Intelligence for the
              British in World War
              > II. Godfrey took the knowledge of Tolkien's work
              for him to the grave.
              > His personal assistant, Ian Fleming, decided that
              he couldn't reveal the
              > story of what Tolkien did in a direct way, so he
              transformed him into
              > the character of James Bond in fiction. It should
              have been obvious from
              > the name itself. He took Tolkien's name, John
              Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and
              > dropped the first two names. As is well known,
              "Reuel" means "James" in
              > Etruscan and "Tolkien" means "Bond" in
              Sumerian. Furthermore, "007" is a
              > reference to the seven rings given to
              the dwarfs, the seven stars, and
              > the seven stones. The resemblances
              between the exploits of James Bond
              > and those of various characters in
              /The Lord of the Rings/ (which
              > Tolkien used to fictionalize his
              adventures in World War II) should be
              > clear.
              > Wendell
              Wagner

              Wendell:

              It became blindingly obvious, once you explained it. Thank you.

              Darrell

            • John Rateliff