Oh dear... Hillard's Mirkwood.... Movie?

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/08/15/47232-steve-hillards-mirkwood-coming-to-a-screen-near-you/

      From The Hollywood Reporter:

      Author Steve Hillard has signed a deal with EMO Films to develop and
      secure financing for a film version of his novel Mirkwood, which
      centers around a fictional version of The Lord of the Rings
      authorJ.R.R. Tolkien. Emo’s Joel Eisenberg and Timothy Owens will
      executive produce the project. “The adaptation of Mirkwood will follow
      the template of the novel,” said Hillard, “but will delve considerably
      deeper into Tolkien’s little-known back story, such as his original
      plans to become a codebreaker in World War II up through the writing
      of his enduring works.”

      Jeremy
    • dougkane@protectingrights.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
        Oh my!

        From: Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...>
        Sender: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:52:11 -0700
        To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [mythsoc] Oh dear... Hillard's Mirkwood.... Movie?

        http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/08/15/47232-steve-hillards-mirkwood-coming-to-a-screen-near-you/

        >From The Hollywood Reporter:

        Author Steve Hillard has signed a deal with EMO Films to develop and
        secure financing for a film version of his novel Mirkwood, which
        centers around a fictional version of The Lord of the Rings
        authorJ.R.R. Tolkien. Emo’s Joel Eisenberg and Timothy Owens will
        executive produce the project. “The adaptation of Mirkwood will follow
        the template of the novel,” said Hillard, “but will delve considerably
        deeper into Tolkien’s little-known back story, such as his original
        plans to become a codebreaker in World War II up through the writing
        of his enduring works.”

        Jeremy

      • Michael Cunningham
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011

          If only Ed Wood Jr was still with us. It would be a perfect project for his oeuvre...

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
            Oh, there's worse than that out there. I hear that the guy who made those Lord of the Rings movies is about to leave his little track marks all over The Hobbit. Ugh. And that one appears to be definite ... this Mirkwood thing looks like it's still in the stage where only 10% get to the financing stage.

            >Author Steve Hillard has signed a deal with EMO Films to develop and
            >secure financing for a film version of his novel Mirkwood, which
            >centers around a fictional version of The Lord of the Rings
            >authorJ.R.R. Tolkien. Emo’s Joel Eisenberg and Timothy Owens will
            >executive produce the project. “The adaptation of Mirkwood will follow
            >the template of the novel,” said Hillard, “but will delve considerably
            >deeper into Tolkien’s little-known back story, such as his original
            >plans to become a codebreaker in World War II up through the writing
            >of his enduring works.”
            >
            >Jeremy

          • John Rateliff
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011

              On Aug 15, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Jeremy Edmonds wrote:
              From The Hollywood Reporter:
              Author Steve Hillard has signed a deal with EMO Films to develop and
              secure financing for a film version of his novel Mirkwood, which
              centers around a fictional version of The Lord of the Rings
              author J.R.R. Tolkien . . .

                 Not to worry; if Hillard thought the Tolkien Estate was tough, he has no idea what he's in for now that he's straying into Saul Zaentz's territory. The smackdown is certain to be brutal.

              On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Michael Cunningham wrote:
              If only Ed Wood Jr was still with us. It would be a perfect project for his oeuvre...

                 I think Wood might have turned this one down as not classy enough for him.

              --John R.
            • Michael Cunningham
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
                Too true! I  do get the feeling though that at the moment 'Hollywood' will option any potential fantasy genre type script given the conclusion of the Potter films, the success of Game of Thrones and what with two new Jackson interpretations in the pipeline, maybe some in the studios feel the time is ripe to keep milking the cash cow? Indeed, one aspect of Hillard's book I noted was that it read, in parts, like an effort to create a screenplay.

                Michael

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 15, 2011
                  I wonder, could this movie be another "Shadowlands" with "Bridge to Terabithia" thrown in?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 16, 2011
                      On 8/16/2011 1:09 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

                      > Of course, Tolkien abandoned his plans to be a codebreaker and instead
                      > became a master spy, working directly for Rear Admiral John Henry
                      > Godfrey, the Director of Naval Intelligence for the British in World War
                      > II. Godfrey took the knowledge of Tolkien's work for him to the grave.
                      > His personal assistant, Ian Fleming, decided that he couldn't reveal the
                      > story of what Tolkien did in a direct way, so he transformed him into
                      > the character of James Bond in fiction. It should have been obvious from
                      > the name itself. He took Tolkien's name, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and
                      > dropped the first two names. As is well known, "Reuel" means "James" in
                      > Etruscan and "Tolkien" means "Bond" in Sumerian. Furthermore, "007" is a
                      > reference to the seven rings given to the dwarfs, the seven stars, and
                      > the seven stones. The resemblances between the exploits of James Bond
                      > and those of various characters in /The Lord of the Rings/ (which
                      > Tolkien used to fictionalize his adventures in World War II) should be
                      > clear.
                      > Wendell Wagner

                      Wendell:

                      It became blindingly obvious, once you explained it. Thank you.

                      Darrell
                    • Mike Foster
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2011
                        Thank you, Wendell, but now you have put yourself in grave danger.  If someone knocks at the door claiming to be Lynn Maudlin, do not answer it.

                        Mike

                        Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:58 AM