Re: [mythsoc] Fantasy Explosion

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      In a message dated 9/1/00 11:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      smasson@... writes:

      << No reason why you can't learn times tables as well--and why is maths
      considered 'higher' anyway?in my experience, mathematicians are just like
      the rest of us--and many of them live in a fantasy world, too. >>

      Some of us *are* mathematicians.
    • Solomon Deems
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2000
        Well, I feel that the most efficient way of learning something is to be
        properly motivated. The approach of turning learning into a game is applied
        to young children with flashcards and "game shows" in school. Looking back
        on my high school days, I think it worked pretty well. I don't think we
        should place more emphasis on the learning of math rather than more
        imaginative areas such as fantasy, I think they must be combined. I happen
        to be excellent at math (which I do not at all consider to be unimaginative
        by the way), only because I like it so much. Geometry came easily to me, I
        was a natural at it. Algebra was not quite as easy for me, but I loved it
        as well. Why? Because I looked further than the times tables, I was
        looking not at math but at the most basic language of reality, because I was
        discovering a perfect science that has always been there, because I was
        gaining new insight into problem solving and common sense and discovering
        the laws that govern the universe.

        I think that strong math skills elevate one's ability to comprehend advanced
        concepts, as well as creating a more complex general thinking structure, a
        sort of unconscious identification between our common knowledge and
        unconscious knowledge. By learning complex elements of math, it is almost
        as if you are building default thought patterns and plotting paths for
        problem solving in a way we could not understand. We already know math, we
        do nightmarishly complicated calculus every time we catch a baseball, jog,
        get out of bed...

        I think the secret to getting our children to focuss on math is not to
        force memorization, but to motivate their imaginations to explore the
        universe and it's mysteries, to teach them how to look at life like an
        adventure, to give them a thirst for the heart's desire, for it is in pusuit
        of the heart's desire that one is lead to the beauty in life. A person who
        enjoys life's adventure willingly will explore all that s/he finds to be
        stimulating and has only to see what makes anything interesting. For this
        one must naturally look for what is stimulating in all that surrounds, and
        that is why we have fantasy. Among other things, it shows us how to look at
        the wold from the heart, and it is from the heart- only- that we might see
        what the world trully has to offer.

        And then one day I began reading about chaos theory and I was hopelessly
        obsessed....

        Solomon
        >In a message dated 9/1/00 11:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        >smasson@... writes:
        >
        ><< No reason why you can't learn times tables as well--and why is maths
        > considered 'higher' anyway?in my experience, mathematicians are just like
        > the rest of us--and many of them live in a fantasy world, too. >>
        >
        >Some of us *are* mathematicians.

      • Sophie Masson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2000
          Exactly. Mathematicians past and present--where would we be without Lewis
          Carroll?
          Sophie
          Author site:
          http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm