Re: [mythsoc] Re: What Is/Is Not SF? (was: NPR top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy titles poll)

  • dale nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5 12:01 PM
      For some tasks, such as planning a course reading list, it may be important to define terms/develop categories: high fantasy, heroic fantasy, dark fantasy, science fantasy (Edgar Rice Burroughs, Stars Wars), speculative fiction (Never Let Me Go), hard science fiction, near-future catastrophe/apocalyptic (Alas, Babylon), etc.!

      But I like the way the NPR invitation lumped sf and fantasy together.  My sense is that most people who read either, other than only occasionally, read both.  C. S. Lewis wrote an essay "On Science Fiction," and within a few pages he is citing the Kalevala, the Faerie Queene, The Lord of the Rings, The Worm Ouroboros, Phantastes, Titus Groan, etc.!

      I do agree that the nominations seem guyed.

      Dale