Re: [mythsoc] NPR top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy titles poll

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
      Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
      Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
      How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

      I do know that the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant - Book 3 is not to be
      out until next year, but Book 1 - Feed - is nominated for a Hugo Award,
      which does put the trilogy on everyone's radar. Still it needs several
      more years of Out in the Wild before it should be making it to Best SF&F
      lists.

      And I don't care if they were excluding YA, Harry Potter should still be
      on the list. Lots of adults have read and enjoyed the series.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      On 8/4/2011 4:45 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

> [...]
      > compiled by polling many people, any one person's personal tastes
      > won't be satisfied. For years I have been collected lists of favorite
      > films. The interesting thing about the lists, especially when they are
      > one person's favorites and not the results of voting among a large
      > group of people, is that there will be a few movies on them that
      > aren't on anyone else's list of favorites. My problem is also not
      > whether I disagree with their definition of science fiction or
      > fantasy. Again, who cares? Every book about science fiction that I
      > read has a slightly different definition of the genre. Something
      > that's noticeable is that the list is skewed toward recent books. This
      > really isn't that surprising, I suppose. This always happens with
      > lists compiled by voting when the voters include lots of people who
      > only recently got into appreciating the subject. A radio station will
      > solicit votes by phone for the greatest rock and roll of all time and
      > then find that the resulting list contains an awful lot of music from
      > the past five years.
      > My problem is that there is stuff on the list that I never heard of by
      > authors I never heard of. I think I've read and, more important, heard
      > of an enormous amount of science fiction and fantasy over the years.
      > When I see a list like this that's compiled by voting among a lot of
      > people (as opposed to a list of a single person's favorites) which
      > contains a lot of things that I'm pretty sure are neither critical,
      > popular, nor cult favorites, my assumption is that the ballot box was
      > stuffed. I suspect that there were some campaigns to put certain books
      > on the lists either by a publisher or an author persuading a lot of
      > people to vote who had no interest in the field in general but were
      > fans of a single author or else just by figuring out some way to vote
      > multiple times. Consider the following books:
      > /The Acts Of Caine Series/, by Matthew Woodring Stover
      > /Armor/, by John Steakley
      > /The Black Jewels Series/, by Anne Bishop
      > /The Eisenhorn Omnibus/, by Dan Abnett
      > /The First Law Trilogy/, by Joe Abercrombie
      > /The Gone-Away World/, by Nick Harkaway
      > /The Hollows Series/, by Kim Harrison
      > /House Of Leaves,/ by Mark Danielewski
      > /The Inheritance Trilogy/, by N.K. Jemisin
      > /The Kingkiller Chronicles/, by Patrick Rothfuss
      > /The Lies Of Locke Lamora/, by Scott Lynch
      > /The Mistborn Series/, by Brandon Sanderson
      > /The Newsflesh Triology/, by Mira Grant
      > /The Passage/, by Justin Cronin
      > /The Prince Of Nothing Trilogy/, by R. Scott Bakker
      > /The Saga Of Recluce/, by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
      > I was actually fairly conservative in compiling the list above. I
      > didn't include some books and authors who I had heard of but who I
      > suspected weren't actually that popular. The list of books above make
      > me want to say, "What are these books? Who are these authors?" Are
      > these books really critical, popular, or cult favorites, or does this

    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Lisa Harrigan <auntie_m_groups@...> wrote:
        Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
        Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
        How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

        This is a fair point. I do think it's valid to want to include things that are new, so you get the full range of classic to contemporary. But series that aren't completed yet really shouldn't qualify.

        -Alana

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks