Re: [mythsoc] NPR top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy titles poll

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
      On 8/4/2011 7:09 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

      > I see no reason to think that the books I listed were particularly
      > liberal or particularly conservative or particularly anything else. Have
      > you read them and know them to be particularly biased to any single
      > political viewpoint? If not, I don't think you have any basis for saying
      > this.
      > Wendell Wagner
      > In a message dated 8/4/2011 8:04:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > darrellm@... writes:
      >
      > The suspicious part of me wonders about the world views of these titles
      > in terms of the admittedly simplistic "liberal-conservative"
      > spectrum. I
      > love a lot of what NPR does and I hope they keep getting the funding
      > they need. Still, I wouldn't trust their objectivity on sociopolitical
      > issues if they told me a representative form of government has worked
      > well for the USA so far.
      >
      > This suggests a skewed participant demographic, rather than some
      > underhanded plot, to me.
      >
      > Darrell

      Wendell:

      Suspicion often functions independently of evidence. If I had evidence,
      I wouldn't "wonder". Nor would I say something "suggests", I would say
      it "shows".

      I shall chastise my paranoid alternative self. But he doesn't listen to
      me. He suspects I am out to get him. He may be right.

      Darrell
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Lisa Harrigan <auntie_m_groups@...> wrote:
        Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
        Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
        How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

        This is a fair point. I do think it's valid to want to include things that are new, so you get the full range of classic to contemporary. But series that aren't completed yet really shouldn't qualify.

        -Alana

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks