Re: [mythsoc] What is science fiction? (was Re: NPR top 100 Science Fiction ...)

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
      Good points, Larry! I suppose I didn't think of any of that because I don't read any of that! Well, a *bit* of Sherlock Holmes maybe, but that's it. :)

      On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:49 AM, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

      On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 05:03 -0700, "Jason Fisher"
      <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      >>Myself, I have perhaps a broader, more inclusive definition of
      science fiction than any of you. For me, a novel is science
      fiction if it is fiction about or involving science, full-stop. A
      etymologist's definition, perhaps. Rather obvious, but it has
      always suited me. :)<<

      While I think Darrell's definition far too narrow, I think this one is
      far too broad. For example, would you include the CSI and similar
      franchises as "science fiction"? They certainly involve science and the
      plots usually turn on "science." Sherlock Holmes? He certainly uses
      the scientific method and catalogues observable data. What about Spider
      Man, the Incredible Hulk, the Flash? A number of superheroes become such
      because of some kind of scientific accident....so does that classify
      them as science fiction? If so, what about Batman and all "those
      wonderful toys"? Are police procedurals which usually make use of some
      kind of science (Law and Order for example) science fiction then? So
      while the definition works for you, I'm not sure it is useful on a
      larger scale (which of course you never said it was, I realize that).

      Larry Swain

      love email again

    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Lisa Harrigan <auntie_m_groups@...> wrote:
        Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
        Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
        How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

        This is a fair point. I do think it's valid to want to include things that are new, so you get the full range of classic to contemporary. But series that aren't completed yet really shouldn't qualify.

        -Alana

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks