What is science fiction? (was Re: NPR top 100 Science Fiction ...)

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
      Myself, I have perhaps a broader, more inclusive definition of science fiction than any of you. For me, a novel is science fiction if it is fiction about or involving science, full-stop. A etymologist's definition, perhaps. Rather obvious, but it has always suited me. :)

      I definitely call "Frankenstein" science fiction; "1984" as well. Likewise, "The Dechronization of Sam Magruder" (George Gaylord Simpson). Although it's a bit like Robinson Crusoe in the dinosaur era (which some might argue disqualifies it from SF), it is a time travel novel and includes a fascinating chapter on the science behind the protagonist's time travel technique, one that is more specific and unique than most time travel novels I've read (which, I admit, is only a few).

      By the way, I wouldn't say that all "time travel" novels are science fiction by definition, though they usually are. As in everything, I think there is the occasional exception. Martin Amis's Times Arrow comes to mind. It's been a while since I read it, but from my recollection, there's nothing at all about it that I would call science fiction.

      Jason

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Lisa Harrigan <auntie_m_groups@...> wrote:
        Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
        Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
        How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

        This is a fair point. I do think it's valid to want to include things that are new, so you get the full range of classic to contemporary. But series that aren't completed yet really shouldn't qualify.

        -Alana

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks