Re: [mythsoc] NPR top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy titles poll

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 3, 2011
      On 8/3/2011 2:39 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:
      > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Darrell A. Martin<darrellm@...> wrote:
      >
      >> "1984" is an alternate history, or historical fiction. Not SF&F. "Animal
      >> Farm" is in the same categories as "1984", but as a beast fable
      >> qualifies for the list, I suppose.
      >
      > When "1984" was written, it was (dystopian) SF. Nowadays, it might
      > qualify as alternate history, but I don't think that should
      > necessarily bump it out of the SF category.
      >
      > "Animal Farm" is beast-fable, yes, but also well-constructed allegory.
      > CSL thought it a better book than "1984."
      >

      > --Margaret Dean

      Margaret:

      Arguing about categories definitely comes under the heading "de gustibus
      non est disputandum". But that won't stop me....

      I just don't see how "1984" qualifies as SF. A near future setting is
      not enough, or the genre begins to lose all useful meaning. Ditto for
      allegory. The combination of the two doesn't do it for me either.

      "Animal Farm" got one of my 10 votes.

      Darrell
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Lisa Harrigan <auntie_m_groups@...> wrote:
        Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
        Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
        How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

        This is a fair point. I do think it's valid to want to include things that are new, so you get the full range of classic to contemporary. But series that aren't completed yet really shouldn't qualify.

        -Alana

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks