Re: [mythsoc] NPR top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy titles poll

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 3, 2011
      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Darrell A. Martin <darrellm@...> wrote:

      > "1984" is an alternate history, or historical fiction. Not SF&F. "Animal
      > Farm" is in the same categories as "1984", but as a beast fable
      > qualifies for the list, I suppose.

      When "1984" was written, it was (dystopian) SF. Nowadays, it might
      qualify as alternate history, but I don't think that should
      necessarily bump it out of the SF category.

      "Animal Farm" is beast-fable, yes, but also well-constructed allegory.
      CSL thought it a better book than "1984."

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean56@...>
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Lisa Harrigan <auntie_m_groups@...> wrote:
        Most of these should not be on a Best of All Time list, because they are
        Brand New, some trilogies have not even had book 3 printed yet, Series.
        How do they get on a Best of All Times List?

        This is a fair point. I do think it's valid to want to include things that are new, so you get the full range of classic to contemporary. But series that aren't completed yet really shouldn't qualify.

        -Alana

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks