Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Article

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      - we now return you to our regular programming -

      On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

      > Interesting article, but there were a few mistakes. For instance:
      >
      > > The largest so far was in 1991 in Oxford, England, where a thousand myth
      > > scholars toasted the centennial of J.R.R. Tolkien's birth.
      >
      > It was 1992, and there were only about 350 people there.

      I'm sure that was just the result of some informant's bad offhand
      recollection.

      > The article made it
      > sound as is most of the attendees are academics, but in fact only a few are.

      The article seemed to me to make it clear that the _conference_ is
      academic, which it is, though since he also mentioned the Not Ready
      Players and the food sculpture, a reader wouldn't be left with the
      impression that it's a somber gathering. And with quoted informants
      identified by their professions, half of whom were not academics, I don't
      think the reader would be seriously misled on that score either.

      > Diana has a theory that we
      > should take the influences of the friends of writers more seriously. I
      > referred to this in a question after the talk as the "Glyerian" method, but
      > she says that she's working from the theories of someone who's studied the
      > patterns of influences within writing groups of amateur writers. Diana may
      > be the first person to apply this method to professional writers, though.

      I expect that at least some of the writing groups studied this way have
      included professionals, or budding professionals. What I believe Diana
      actually said was that she was the first person to apply this method to
      historical research: that is, to study in this way writing groups of the
      past through documentary evidence, rather than groups of the present
      primarily through interviews and on-site observation.

      > Alexei Kondratiev talked about Padraic Colum's retellings of Hawaiian
      > mythology. (Colum was famous for his collections of Irish folktales.)

      Yes, this certainly attracted my interest, and I intend to read some
      soon. (While checking to see if my library had these, I discovered that
      Colum edited the letters of James Branch Cabell.)

      David Bratman