Re: [mythsoc] Mythprint question

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
      Hi Alana,

      Thanks for that. No, it hadn't occurred to me to put it on an e-reader, as I didn't know dedicated e-reader devices existed! (I have my e-reader software on my PC). But now I do, I'll certainly look into it.

      Thanks,

      John

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
        "Alana Joli Abbott" <alanajoli@...> wrote:

        > Despite kindle books being readable on
        > most devices, they're not readable from my dedicated e-reader (a nook from
        > B&N),

        I'm a little bit puzzled by this. The Nook is not a "dedicated" e-reader
        but an open-format one, which can read epub, which is the standard
        interchangeable format for most e-readers that are not the Kindle, as well
        as pdfs and Word files. It was the original Kindle which was infamous for
        not reading anything but Kindle files, though I understand subsequent
        generations have expanded on this, and there are now Kindle apps for reading
        Kindle format on other devices. But you still have to get the app. You
        don't need a Nook-specific app to read Nook files elsewhere, because there
        is no Nook format, there's only epub.
      • Alana Joli Abbott
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
          Sorry, David. I was using "dedicated e-reader" in this context to mean "my device that only reads e-books," as compared to a tabled PC or an iPad. Kindles certainly can read most open-source files at this point, as well (though I believe they still don't read ePub files).

          I *think* that B&N actually sells books in the pdb format, rather than ePub, but I also can't figure out how to get B&N-purchased e-books to let me open them in a non nook-app program. (I actually can't figure out where the files are downloaded to after I purchase them from B&N, and this after about ten minutes of poking around and doing a google search to try to get a clue from someone else.) Someone tech-savvier than me probably can, of course!

          -Alana

        • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
              Joan--

              Did you copy this to me by mistake? I don't see his original query...
              --
              Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
              The Mythopoeic Society

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                Edith, if you check below, you'll see his original query, which I was
                responding to. (In particular, the discussion was on his e-publishing, and e-
                publishing to formats other than/in addition to Kindle. Also, previous
                discussions asked where and in which formats his ebook could be found.) Joan

                > Did you copy this to me by mistake? I don't see his original query...
                > --
                > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                > The Mythopoeic Society
                > http://www.mythsoc.org | correspondence@...