Re: [mythsoc] Mythprint question

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26 1:44 AM
      Hi Berni,

      The book is what I suppose these days is called urban (real-world) fantasy, though in this case it is more 'rural fantasy'. There are scenes of violence, but I'd rate them PG12 rather than 18! Length 100,000 words. So longish for an urban fantasy, short compared to high fantasy epics!

      Here's the first bit of the blurb:
      Evie is a loner, preferring the solitude of the moors to anything that civilization has to offer. She is also, she discovers as the beast awakens in her, a werewolf, not bitten but born that way, a fact which makes her unique. But she is not the only wild thing on the moors. For the Huntsman, Master of the Chase that roams across lands and worlds, seeks to claim Evie for his pack, and his coming will tear down the veils that separate this world from others, bringing chaos and destruction...
      The rest can be found on Amazon (Fell Runner; John Davis) if you are interested.

      And now I've probably taken up more than enough of the list's time with shameless self-promotion. So many thanks for your tolerance!

      John

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26 6:12 AM
        Hi John,

        One more question, and then we'll let you off the self-promotion hook! :) Are you looking at selling through Barnes and Noble, Fictionwise, or any of the other available mediums? (I have two books available on http://www.drivethrufantasy.com, and I know they're a pleasure to work with if you want contact info for them.) Despite kindle books being readable on most devices, they're not readable from my dedicated e-reader (a nook from B&N), so having multiple options for sale could be helpful in gaining readers like me! I know that amazon doesn't have an "us only" clause in at least one of their options, as several of my author friends have e-books available on Kindle, at B&N, and through other sources.

        Hope you'll consider it, because it sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. :)

        -Alana

        On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:44 AM, John Davis <john@...> wrote:

[...]

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

      • John Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26 6:47 AM
          Hi Alana,

          Thanks for that. No, it hadn't occurred to me to put it on an e-reader, as I didn't know dedicated e-reader devices existed! (I have my e-reader software on my PC). But now I do, I'll certainly look into it.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26 7:42 AM
            "Alana Joli Abbott" <alanajoli@...> wrote:

            > Despite kindle books being readable on
            > most devices, they're not readable from my dedicated e-reader (a nook from
            > B&N),

            I'm a little bit puzzled by this. The Nook is not a "dedicated" e-reader
            but an open-format one, which can read epub, which is the standard
            interchangeable format for most e-readers that are not the Kindle, as well
            as pdfs and Word files. It was the original Kindle which was infamous for
            not reading anything but Kindle files, though I understand subsequent
            generations have expanded on this, and there are now Kindle apps for reading
            Kindle format on other devices. But you still have to get the app. You
            don't need a Nook-specific app to read Nook files elsewhere, because there
            is no Nook format, there's only epub.
          • Alana Joli Abbott
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26 7:57 AM
              Sorry, David. I was using "dedicated e-reader" in this context to mean "my device that only reads e-books," as compared to a tabled PC or an iPad. Kindles certainly can read most open-source files at this point, as well (though I believe they still don't read ePub files).

              I *think* that B&N actually sells books in the pdb format, rather than ePub, but I also can't figure out how to get B&N-purchased e-books to let me open them in a non nook-app program. (I actually can't figure out where the files are downloaded to after I purchase them from B&N, and this after about ten minutes of poking around and doing a google search to try to get a clue from someone else.) Someone tech-savvier than me probably can, of course!

              -Alana

            • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26 9:17 AM
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 26 9:32 AM
                  Joan--

                  Did you copy this to me by mistake? I don't see his original query...
                  --
                  Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                  The Mythopoeic Society

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 26 9:56 AM
                    Edith, if you check below, you'll see his original query, which I was
                    responding to. (In particular, the discussion was on his e-publishing, and e-
                    publishing to formats other than/in addition to Kindle. Also, previous
                    discussions asked where and in which formats his ebook could be found.) Joan

                    > Did you copy this to me by mistake? I don't see his original query...
                    > --
                    > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                    > The Mythopoeic Society
                    > http://www.mythsoc.org | correspondence@...