Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Article

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Interesting article, but there were a few mistakes. For instance:

      > The largest so far was in 1991 in Oxford, England, where a thousand myth
      > scholars toasted the centennial of J.R.R. Tolkien's birth.

      It was 1992, and there were only about 350 people there. The article made it
      sound as is most of the attendees are academics, but in fact only a few are.

      There were a number of good talks. David Bratman had what everyone agreed
      was the most surprising subject for a paper in his talk on the Inklings and
      the Pacific. He also gave a talk on the journeys in the Earthsea books.

      Diana Glyer gave a talk about her efforts to put Joy Davidman's novel
      _Weeping Bay_ back into print. She also talked about how the conflicts and
      discussions between the Inklings influenced their writings. This is part of
      a book that now being looked at by publishers. Diana has a theory that we
      should take the influences of the friends of writers more seriously. I
      referred to this in a question after the talk as the "Glyerian" method, but
      she says that she's working from the theories of someone who's studied the
      patterns of influences within writing groups of amateur writers. Diana may
      be the first person to apply this method to professional writers, though.

      Alexei Kondratiev talked about Padraic Colum's retellings of Hawaiian
      mythology. (Colum was famous for his collections of Irish folktales.)

      Wendell Wagner
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        - we now return you to our regular programming -

        On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

        > Interesting article, but there were a few mistakes. For instance:
        >
        > > The largest so far was in 1991 in Oxford, England, where a thousand myth
        > > scholars toasted the centennial of J.R.R. Tolkien's birth.
        >
        > It was 1992, and there were only about 350 people there.

        I'm sure that was just the result of some informant's bad offhand
        recollection.

        > The article made it
        > sound as is most of the attendees are academics, but in fact only a few are.

        The article seemed to me to make it clear that the _conference_ is
        academic, which it is, though since he also mentioned the Not Ready
        Players and the food sculpture, a reader wouldn't be left with the
        impression that it's a somber gathering. And with quoted informants
        identified by their professions, half of whom were not academics, I don't
        think the reader would be seriously misled on that score either.

        > Diana has a theory that we
        > should take the influences of the friends of writers more seriously. I
        > referred to this in a question after the talk as the "Glyerian" method, but
        > she says that she's working from the theories of someone who's studied the
        > patterns of influences within writing groups of amateur writers. Diana may
        > be the first person to apply this method to professional writers, though.

        I expect that at least some of the writing groups studied this way have
        included professionals, or budding professionals. What I believe Diana
        actually said was that she was the first person to apply this method to
        historical research: that is, to study in this way writing groups of the
        past through documentary evidence, rather than groups of the present
        primarily through interviews and on-site observation.

        > Alexei Kondratiev talked about Padraic Colum's retellings of Hawaiian
        > mythology. (Colum was famous for his collections of Irish folktales.)

        Yes, this certainly attracted my interest, and I intend to read some
        soon. (While checking to see if my library had these, I discovered that
        Colum edited the letters of James Branch Cabell.)

        David Bratman